Elk Meadows -Gnarl Ridge - Bluegrass Ridge - Feb 11-12, 2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bossman

Elk Meadows -Gnarl Ridge - Bluegrass Ridge - Feb 11-12, 2012

Post by bossman » February 13th, 2012, 9:29 pm

My wife and I headed out to Elk Meadows for a Valentines campout in the snow. We arrived at the Hood River Meadows sno-park around 10:30am and were on our way to Elk Meadows shortly thereafter. Once we left the parking lot we didn’t see anyone else all weekend. The weather on Saturday was rather mild and the snow was fairly mushy in the sun and a little crusty in the shade; definitely a far cry from the powdery conditions of last weekend.

We crossed Clark Creek on the bridge, but there was also a small snow bridge people were using. We were able to cross Newton Creek on a snow bridge as well. There are actually two snow bridges there, but they appear to be melting quickly.
IMG_0036.JPG
We ascended the switch backs up to Gnarl Ridge which were fairly icy. The well-worn trail was melted out a little and we had to make short traverses across moderately seep, icy slopes, but they didn’t pose any major difficulties for us in our snowshoes.

Here's a pic of a pregnant tree in case you ever need to explain to a child where baby trees come from!
IMG_0039.JPG
Once on the ridge we went straight through the forest to Elk Meadows since there was no marked trail. We set up our tent on the edge of the meadows and unloaded a bunch of our gear.
IMG_0072.JPG
We then cut our way up to the top of Bluegrass ridge and headed over to Elk Mountain. There are definitely no views from the summit of Elk Mountain, at least none that we could find. Personally, I don’t think it should be called a mountain if there are no views! We descended the NW ridge of Elk Mountain and intersected the Gnarl Ridge trail and headed up to its intersection with the Timberline trail. We had a late lunch and headed back to our campsite to get setup for the night. It was pretty cloudy on Saturday and there weren’t many views to be had. We had a few light flurries, but no significant accumulation.

Back at camp we got the inside of our tent setup and a kitchen shoveled out of snow. Shoveling snow is a great way to stay warm.
IMG_0078.JPG
We had a lovely candlelight dinner of scalloped potatoes and Buffalo chicken accompanied by a little Pinot Grigio and finished off with mini cheesecakes for dessert. We even managed to have a romantic campfire built on the snow!
IMG_0079.JPG
The weather cleared overnight and the temperature plunged to 18F. We managed to stay toasty warm though, although our boots were a little frozen as we forgot bags for them so we could bring them into the tent.
IMG_0089.JPG
Sunday morning we had ham and eggs and oatmeal for breakfast and headed off to Bluegrass ridge for a strenuous trek by 10am. We headed straight up to the top of Bluegrass ridge.
IMG_0095.JPG
We followed the ridge NE to its high point at ~5600ft and then continued NW along the ridge top as it started to descend. The ridge is a little eery in that it was hit hard by fire. I’d guesstimate that only 1 in 100 trees survived in some areas. The contrast of the burnt trees and white snow was beautiful! We had incredible views of Hood, Jefferson, Adams and St. Helens. We could even see the Sisters in the distance.
IMG_0065.JPG
We descended the ridge to about the 5000ft level at which point we had to make a decision. Beyond this point the western aspect of the ridge gets a little steep. You could probably drop step down the slope in boots, but if you choose to continue, it would be better to follow the ridge down to its northern end in order to get off of it, about another 2 miles. We decided to descend the western aspect on moderately steep snow slopes and headed back to camp along the base of the ridge on its west side on trail #645 along Cold Springs Creek.
IMG_0123.JPG
The trail back was quite easy to follow and we saw plenty of wild life tracks, including elk tracks. The trail also marks a fairly clear line between burned and non-burned areas. These next two pics were taken from the same spot; one looking left, the other looking right.
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG
Once back at camp we quickly packed up and headed back to Hood River Meadows in order to beat the ski traffic home.
IMG_0134.JPG
When we got back to the parking lot we didn’t see our car. We were like, WTF (Where’s the Forester)! Our car was missing! Uh-oh! Prior to leaving, I check ODOT’s website and discovered that you are permitted to park overnight in a sno-park so long as there is no signage to the contrary. There is no such signage at HRM, so I expected the worst. We went and talked with people at the Nordic ski center and they said there was no overnight parking and that we were likely towed to the main Mt. Hood Meadows lodge. We jumped on a shuttle, headed to the lodge and found our car sitting there safely amongst some RVs.
We talked with parking and security staff and they said they tow any vehicle left overnight. Fortunately we did not have to pay anything for the tow. This raises a question, one that the staff at Mt. Hood Meadows could not answer. If you want to camp in the snow, where can you park? It’s an odd arrangement down at HRM. It’s US Forest Service land, the lot is maintained by ODOT, but Mt. Hood Meadows has ‘control’ over it as a private entity. There is RV parking at the lodge, but we were told a car can’t park there overnight. What’s a person to do?

Sorry for the poor quality pics, we only had an iPod with us.

bobcat

Re: Elk Meadows -Gnarl Ridge - Bluegrass Ridge - Feb 11-12,

Post by bobcat » February 14th, 2012, 10:18 am

Nice report. Bluegrass Ridge looks rather attractively stark in the snow. Thanks also for the parking tip (Sometimes others have to endure so the word gets out). I can't remember if it's O.K. to park at Clark Creek or Teacup Lake overnight, but will check the next time I go there.

Koda

Post by Koda » February 14th, 2012, 10:53 am

bossman wrote: If you want to camp in the snow, where can you park? It’s an odd arrangement down at HRM. It’s US Forest Service land, the lot is maintained by ODOT, but Mt. Hood Meadows has ‘control’ over it as a private entity. There is RV parking at the lodge, but we were told a car can’t park there overnight. What’s a person to do?
in short, I think you can park overnight at the Clark Creek snow park.

A friend of mine had the same towing experience a couple winters ago snowcamping based from the HRM lot, even with a valid snow park permit. Personally, I think this frustrating since there are no signage stating against over night parking... and this is a reoccurring problem.... Meadows should not be allowed to tow. Perhaps they don't want anyone overnighting there because it would cut into their often crowded parking scene costing them lift tickets.

Excellent TR in one of my favorite areas on the mountain. I love ski touring in there and Elk Meadows is a beautiful place year round. I have yet to snow camp in there, but it is on my bucket list of places. Did you visit the shelter in the meadows? its a great spot to get out of any blizzard like weather and have lunch. The view of Hood from the meadow there is beautiful. Thanks for posting adding to my inspiration to get up there again.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

bossman

Post by bossman » February 14th, 2012, 6:03 pm

Koda wrote:
in short, I think you can park overnight at the Clark Creek snow park.
Did you visit the shelter in the meadows? its a great spot to get out of any blizzard like weather and have lunch. The view of Hood from the meadow there is beautiful. Thanks for posting adding to my inspiration to get up there again.
I heard that the Clark Creek sno-park is closed due to road construction and that it will be completely decommissioned. Is there any truth to this? Mt. Hood Meadows staff said that ODOT has been known to tow from sno-parks if they need to plow following a heavy snowfall. It doesn't seem like there is a surefire way to park your car overnight. I will check with USFS and see what they say. I will post my findings here.

We did visit the shelter. It has seen better days, but it is still standing and would be a good place to hunker down in a storm. The meadows were absolutely beautiful as were the views of hood. I'm looking forward to snowshoeing all of Bluegrass ridge one of these days as well as visiting the meadows in the summer.
IMG_0051.JPG

chameleon

Post by chameleon » February 14th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Thanks for the wonderful report! That's a great valentine's idea. And snow kitchens are fun to design, huh?

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » February 14th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Bossman,

I really loved this TR. It makes me want to go snow camping one of these days. It's good to know about the questionable parking situation too. Don't rely on any info from the USFS, as they tend to be uninformed about most things.

I can't believe you were able to get a fire going! First of all, I would think everything would be wet. Then I would think the fire would melt the snow underneath it and it would keep sinking lower and lower. But what do I know?

Brad

Koda

Post by Koda » February 14th, 2012, 10:14 pm

I wonder if Meadows would allow you to park a car over night in the main lot with the RV's (then take the shuttle bus over to HRM)?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

cunningkeith

Post by cunningkeith » February 15th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Thanks for a great TR. I've always thought this would be a fantastic spot to snow camp. What is up with the towing? That's awful.

Can you clarify where you parked? Was it at the HRM Lodge, the Nordic Center, or the Sahalie Falls T.R., which is on the north side of the road before you reach the Nordic Center? Or was it somewhere else? Any one of those three places would be fine to park and access Elk Meadows. People should be able to park there overnight. The mountain isn't just for the day ski crowd (of which I am also a member).

bossman

Post by bossman » February 16th, 2012, 7:13 am

Koda wrote:I wonder if Meadows would allow you to park a car over night in the main lot with the RV's (then take the shuttle bus over to HRM)?
We asked if we could do that, but their parking and security staff said no car parking allowed.
cunningkeith wrote:Thanks for a great TR. I've always thought this would be a fantastic spot to snow camp. What is up with the towing? That's awful.

Can you clarify where you parked? Was it at the HRM Lodge, the Nordic Center, or the Sahalie Falls T.R., which is on the north side of the road before you reach the Nordic Center? Or was it somewhere else? Any one of those three places would be fine to park and access Elk Meadows. People should be able to park there overnight. The mountain isn't just for the day ski crowd (of which I am also a member).
We were parked at the Nordic center. I understand the need to plow and keep the parking lot clear, but it did not snow, nor was snow in the forecast. They should at the very least put up a sign saying no overnight parking. I mean come on, they can foot the bill for towing, but they can't put up a sign or two?

awildman

Post by awildman » February 19th, 2012, 9:06 pm

bossman wrote:I heard that the Clark Creek sno-park is closed due to road construction and that it will be completely decommissioned. Is there any truth to this?
I don't know about the decommissioned part, but Clark Creek Sno-Park is definitely closed for the season. It looks like they added capacity to the Teacup / Pocket Creek Sno-Parks across the highway, which provides access to Clark Creek. We parked there and scaled the plow berm without any trouble.

It's a longer haul to Newton / Elk Meadows from Clark Creek (adds about 8/10ths of a mile), but it's a nice trail.
Rambling on at Allison Outside