Cape Horn Trail mud replaced with wood shavings.

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
CapeHornConservancy

Cape Horn Trail mud replaced with wood shavings.

Post by CapeHornConservancy » February 9th, 2012, 8:33 am

The first couple hundred yards of the Cape Horn Trail always used to be a muddy mess during the rainy season. Not any more! Earlier this week crews from Washington Trails Association and Cape Horn Conservancy scraped mud off the trail and spread 20 cubic yards of wood shavings purchased by CHC. The waterfall section of the trail is closed during falcon nesting and will reopen July 15, but in the meantime the 5-mile round trip hike from the trail head to the new overlook has about 800 feet of elevation gain and offers great Gorge and Silver Star Mountain views close to town. With the mud gone this low elevation hike is a good destination on a winter or spring day.
Attachments
Hog Fuel.jpg
Wood shavings on the Cape Horn Trail

funhog

Re: Cape Horn Trail mud replaced with wood shavings.

Post by funhog » February 9th, 2012, 10:02 am

Cape Horn Trail without mud?! I'm betting on Mother Nature to rectify this bizarre condition. Thanks guys. Let's hope it lasts.

Jane

Post by Jane » February 9th, 2012, 1:26 pm

funhog wrote:Cape Horn Trail without mud?! I'm betting on Mother Nature to rectify this bizarre condition. Thanks guys. Let's hope it lasts.
True dat ;). I think gravel was a first choice (?), but hopefully the bark will help!
Cape Horn 3-26-11 muddy trail.jpg

beag

Post by beag » February 9th, 2012, 8:19 pm

There was bark put on that section of trail a few years ago and it only lasted one season. It need's to be built up with a gravel base but I'm not sure if that will do either. That section of trail needs to moved to a different location.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » February 11th, 2012, 10:18 am

That'll be interesting to see how it pans out. On first blush, it sounds like a good idea...definately a huge improvement from the pic Jane posted! Mud like that makes hikers cut new trails around, and eventually you have wide, ugly, destructive trails. The wood shavings, as long as they aren't treated with toxins (such as wood preservatives), sounds like an environmentally friendly alternative!

Roy

Post by Roy » February 11th, 2012, 6:17 pm

CapeHornConservancy wrote:The first couple hundred yards of the Cape Horn Trail always used to be a muddy mess during the rainy season. Not any more! Earlier this week crews from Washington Trails Association and Cape Horn Conservancy scraped mud off the trail and spread 20 cubic yards of wood shavings purchased by CHC. The waterfall section of the trail is closed during falcon nesting and will reopen July 15, but in the meantime the 5-mile round trip hike from the trail head to the new overlook has about 800 feet of elevation gain and offers great Gorge and Silver Star Mountain views close to town. With the mud gone this low elevation hike is a good destination on a winter or spring day.
reminded me of a playground i was there today :D
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura