Cochran to Wolf Creek Flats: Port of Tillamook Bay Railroad

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Adrian1208

Re: Cochran to Wolf Creek Flats: Port of Tillamook Bay Railr

Post by Adrian1208 » February 20th, 2012, 12:37 pm

@Bobcat. Thanks for the reply. I am not that familiar with the area so i was curious. Looking at maps looks like the RR follows the Lower Nehalem going west. Maybe that area would be more accesible and not go through private property. Might head out there this weekend. We'll see what i find out.
Adi

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 21st, 2012, 6:46 am

If you try to go to the Nehalem section, the bridge across the Salmonberry River is gone, so you would have to approach it from the West.

Take highway 26 towards the coast. Take highway 53 towards Nehalem. 1 mile before highway 101 in Mohler, turn left onto Miami River Road. Go about 1 mile South. Then turn left onto the Nehalem River Road.

Or, you could go up the railroad from the Nehalem River. Take highway 26. Left on the road for Henry Rierson Spruce Run Park. Keep going on the road to where it ends at the Salmonberry River.

I'm assuming they haven't fixed the bridge across the Salmonberry

Adrian1208

Post by Adrian1208 » February 21st, 2012, 5:18 pm

Jerry,

Thanks for the reply and directions. I was there on Jan 21st and they are indeed working on the bridge across the Salmonberry. The bridge is in itself finished. Not sure when will be open.

Adi

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » February 21st, 2012, 9:40 pm

My sister and I hiked along the tracks in May 2007. It was a great trek and I was sorry to see the area so damaged by storms. It has been my hope that they could do a rails-to-trails conversion before the trestles and tunnels deteriorate past the point of no return, but the cost of maintenance would probably be prohibitive. It's too bad, because it's a nice area, and if they paved that route like they did the rails-to-trails Banks-Vernonia route it would be a pretty great bike ride.