Leadbetter Point

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Woodhead

Leadbetter Point

Post by Woodhead » June 20th, 2008, 11:02 pm

I hiked Leadbetter Point on the Long Beach Penninsula last monday. The trails were nice and dry :) which I thought was wierd since we`ve had such a wet spring. But it was a welcome treat. I saw lots of wildlife. The bad part is how I`ve watched the Scotch Broom take over the landscape over the years. I don`t know what the answer is but it should be discussed. Even still the Point as I call it is a great place for some hiking.

Delfiin

Re: Leadbetter Point

Post by Delfiin » June 21st, 2008, 9:47 pm

It is amazing how invasive Scotch broom has become. I know there are some work parties planned in various areas this summer to start pulling seedlings. One is next weekend at Mt. St. Helens. (link here)
Saturday, June 28, 2008: 3rd Annual Mount St. Helens Weed Rodeo

Help Protect Natural Recovery Northwest of the Volcano.

Project involves removing scotch broom and other invasive weeds from areas near our trails and visitor centers. Volunteers should bring work gloves and come prepared for high mountain weather and rain or shine conditions. The first 30 volunteers to arrive on Saturday morning will lasso themselves a Weed Rodeo polo shirt.
On another note, how long of a hike were you able to do? I saw on the state park website that there are 7 miles of trail. Is this one big loop or lots of little trails?

Woodhead

Post by Woodhead » June 22nd, 2008, 6:11 pm

Hey Delfin I mostly hike off trail thru the dunes. I like to hike all the way to the point on the bay side, then pick my way back off trail so you really can spend all day out there if you were so inclined :P Its like being on a wildlife safari I am not kidding. If you get off the trail and work your way thru the dunes with the wind in your face (thats a must). This means your heading south normally, thats why I hike all the way to the point on the bay or beach. Have fun and give it a try you won`t be sorry.

Wayne Kraft

Re: Leadbetter Point (Scotch Broom)

Post by Wayne Kraft » June 22nd, 2008, 6:53 pm

I think the first time anybody paid me to do something I was asked to take a lopper to an acre of scotch bloom. I was about six years old (1957) and it seemed like I would never get done. I think they grow rutabagas there now. Anyway, the days of scotch broom as an invasive species may be numbered if we can run our cars on it:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonia ... xml&coll=7

backcountryhunter

Post by backcountryhunter » June 23rd, 2008, 7:25 am

Leadbetter point is a great place!! I hiked there several times but never made it to the point. It seemed that the trails were full of water holes at various spots with no way around. The "Friends of Willapa Bay" host work parties on the point to take care of Scotchbroom and other invasive species.