Scramble up to the summit next to Saddle Mountain

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
benmayberry

Scramble up to the summit next to Saddle Mountain

Post by benmayberry » January 11th, 2012, 9:01 pm

On the way down from Saddle Mountain today, I made an impulsive decision to make my way up to the summit next to Saddle Mountain. I wasn't even sure there was any route leading to the top... but it had looked doable, I had time to spare, and getting off of the chicken-wire highway for a bit of bushwhacking sounded pleasant.

Go straight past the picnic table, heading into the forest.

Past the lone chicken-wire fenced off tree.

A good use trail quickly appears. The 'trail' continues to the top but it varies from 'nearly imperceptible' to 'excellent'.

Pieces of flagging occasionally mark the route... here the 'trail' climbs onto a fallen log for a short distance.

Looking towards Saddle Mountain and the coast from near the top.

A stone compass has been laid out on the summit.

geographics

Re: Scramble up to the summit next to Saddle Mountain

Post by geographics » January 11th, 2012, 10:31 pm

=
Last edited by geographics on April 6th, 2012, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » January 11th, 2012, 10:41 pm

Ok, that is really cool!! But how did you ever find out about this?
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Roy

Post by Roy » January 11th, 2012, 10:51 pm

strange i was there Sunday doing Saddle on the way down i saw a red pack and some gear lying on the ground from above i kept expecting to pass it on the trail but i never saw it. looking at your photos i think they stashed it well off the main and went up your route (i think). i had not seen a person yet that am.

looks like another nice day up there.

nice report Tom
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » January 12th, 2012, 7:05 am

Cool stuff!

Love Saddle Mountain but wish the hike started closer to HWY 26, that road to get there
goes on forever it seems and cuts into the EG for the hike!

Welcome to PH too Ben :)

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » January 12th, 2012, 7:57 am

Shouldn't this be in Off-Trail Trip Reports?

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » January 12th, 2012, 8:26 am

Maybe not GH since he first did a regular Saddle then on his way down
it sounds like he diverted to the other lower Saddle area peak.

But this is his first post and TR and you're right the TR is really speaking more
about his somewhat off trail hike up to the other summit...

benmayberry

Post by benmayberry » January 12th, 2012, 10:15 am

mayhem wrote:Ok, that is really cool!! But how did you ever find out about this?
*shrugs* I saw the summit from the top of Saddle Mountain and decided to try and reach it, finding the use trail and flagging was convenient but unexpected.
Grannyhiker wrote:Shouldn't this be in Off-Trail Trip Reports?
Probably? I'm new here and hadn't noticed the separate area for off-trail reports. Maybe an admin could move it over.

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » January 13th, 2012, 12:00 am

That looks like a fantastic, less-crowded alternative to the "chicken-wire highway!" But I have a question about the route.

Saddle Mountain is a heavily-used state park and, if I remember correctly, there are signs at the TH stating hikers must remain on the trail. For good reason; there are many rare, endemic species of plants on the mountain, and the effects of erosion (some from hiking trails) can be easily seen above the saddle on the way to the summit. I was yelled at once by other hikers who believed my hiking partner and I were off-trail and causing damage, although that wasn't the case - we'd followed a clear use trail and rejoined the main trail by crossing bare rock. Still, I wonder what a ranger would say if we'd been "caught." Is hiking to the lower summit illegal? Is it something a hiker could be fined for? Is it ethical, knowing the possible side-effects?

Please don't think I'm casting this report and its author in a negative light. I'm sitting here very excited about this route and think I might do it soon. I won't be trampling around and I don't think anyone on this site would, either. But how do you approach a hike like this? Forum members have debated about whether or not to post off-trail reports for many reasons and/or fears. I'm glad to know about this alternative/addition to Saddle Mountain's normal trail, even though I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about this particular route in this particular place.

Roy

Post by Roy » January 13th, 2012, 11:02 am

Excursionista wrote:That looks like a fantastic, less-crowded alternative to the "chicken-wire highway!" But I have a question about the route.

Saddle Mountain is a heavily-used state park and, if I remember correctly, there are signs at the TH stating hikers must remain on the trail. For good reason; there are many rare, endemic species of plants on the mountain, and the effects of erosion (some from hiking trails) can be easily seen above the saddle on the way to the summit. I was yelled at once by other hikers who believed my hiking partner and I were off-trail and causing damage, although that wasn't the case - we'd followed a clear use trail and rejoined the main trail by crossing bare rock. Still, I wonder what a ranger would say if we'd been "caught." Is hiking to the lower summit illegal? Is it something a hiker could be fined for? Is it ethical, knowing the possible side-effects?

Please don't think I'm casting this report and its author in a negative light. I'm sitting here very excited about this route and think I might do it soon. I won't be trampling around and I don't think anyone on this site would, either. But how do you approach a hike like this? Forum members have debated about whether or not to post off-trail reports for many reasons and/or fears. I'm glad to know about this alternative/addition to Saddle Mountain's normal trail, even though I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about this particular route in this particular place.
your right i saw it in the dark last Sun you can not miss that one.

i first did Saddle in 1976 on spring break no erosion no fences on top just nice dirt trail killed by popularity for sure.

from the things i have done no preaching about about what he did from me.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura