Table Mtn (Direct) 17-Dec-2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BigBear

Re: Table Mtn (Direct) 17-Dec-2011

Post by BigBear » December 27th, 2011, 1:12 pm

I'm confused. I thought "direct" meant that a hikers was opting not to use the switchbacks of a standard route in order to reduce the distance on a route. In this case, the 11 miles hiked is greater than either Heartbreak Ridge or West Ridge which honestly seemed rather direct to me when I've hiked them.

Congratulations in a successful winter climb of Table Mtn.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » December 27th, 2011, 4:15 pm

BigBear wrote:I'm confused. I thought "direct" meant that a hikers was opting not to use the switchbacks of a standard route in order to reduce the distance on a route. In this case, the 11 miles hiked is greater than either Heartbreak Ridge or West Ridge which honestly seemed rather direct to me when I've hiked them.

Congratulations in a successful winter climb of Table Mtn.
The routes you mentioned are the two most direct (at least the old Heartbreak route was) on the S side of Table. It would have been more accurate for me to have said a direct route on the NW side, as my route was shorter than going out past the power lines and then doubling back. Thanks but I'm not sure it was a real "winter" climb since there was no snow - so it might be worth trying again when (or if) we get some snow on Table.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » December 28th, 2011, 2:07 pm

Great report and pics. Most especially like the sunlight through the trees shot.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir