Bull Of The Woods December 10-11, 2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
potato

Re: Bull Of The Woods December 10-11, 2011

Post by potato » December 13th, 2011, 8:28 pm

I reached in and snapped a pic when I was there in August.
q0808111122_small.jpg
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

shawjr

Post by shawjr » December 13th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Thanks everyone, it was a cold but memorable trip..
Crusak wrote:Any idea how cold it got overnight when you were in the tower?
It got very cold, I'm guessing low 20's Brrrrrr.. The only difference between the inside and outside was most of the wind was blocked once we boarded up the one broken window.
theradpotato wrote:Awesome... looks lovely. I like that area. Being on top of Battle Ax at 8am was one of the highlights of my year.
Thanks' I've yet to make it over to Batle Ax.. It's on my to do list...
Tito goes hiking wrote:Sounds like you had a great trip!
Does the lookout have no wood stove?
No wood stove, it has been years since it was there..
RobFromRedland wrote:Last time I was up there the lookout was locked up. Did someone remove the lock? I'm sure it would be a cold, windy, drafty night in there, though. That place looks like swiss cheese! :)
I've never seen a lock on it. They keep the shutters closed with a chain binder, just have to make sure it is hooked back up when you're done. This trip we never fully openened them. And yes it is a little drafty.. Someone in the past few years has been making attempts to restore it, there are several building items in there, but the progress has been a little slow.

geographics wrote:great TR and some awesome pics. how do they work the fire lookout usage? and are the windows boarded up for the season? any photos of the interior?
As far as we've been able to tell by the misc. signs posted in and around the tower is it's available for use, just use respect to the tower and supplies inside. It's obvious that not all use the same respect, there is vandalism.. :evil:

shawjr

Post by shawjr » December 13th, 2011, 9:30 pm

Oh ya, BTW Brian, I have a hard time getting my teenage boys to go on these trips with me. They dont like being away from girls that long...

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » December 13th, 2011, 9:37 pm

:lol: :lol: Someday a cold night in a lookout tower will be an escape, not one of dad's crazy adventures
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » December 13th, 2011, 9:40 pm

BrianEdwards wrote::lol: :lol: Someday a cold night in a lookout tower will be an escape, not one of dad's crazy adventures
* Cru hits the 'like' button *
:lol:
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Beer Town Bill

Post by Beer Town Bill » December 15th, 2011, 8:20 pm

Great report.....but first person version was way better. Let me know next time you are planning something like this.....I might be convinced to join. And oh, next time bring a heater!!!!