Non-trip report, thanks to "senior moment"

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Grannyhiker

Non-trip report, thanks to "senior moment"

Post by Grannyhiker » June 20th, 2008, 6:10 pm

I packed up my daypack, Hysson's doggie pack and, of course, Hysson, headed out I-84 to the Ainsworth Park exit, then doubled back to Horsetail Falls. It was 10:30 am when we got there, and the parking lot was full. Now that summer is here, it's obvious that we need to start hiking at the crack of dawn even on weekdays if we want to avoid the crowds. I got Hysson's and my packs out of the car, went to get Hysson out of his crate, and realized I'd forgotten his leash! And, unfortunately, I had no substitute with me! I didn't want to take him unleashed (illegal in the Scenic Area anyway) on the popular Horsetail-Oneonta-Triple Falls hike. In any case, for the first half hour of every hike, he is so excited about going hiking that without a leash he'd be dashing around in circles and probably going off a cliff.

My hike was therefore converted into a pleasant drive the length of the Scenic Highway, stopping at all the waterfalls and at Crown Point. What a magnificent national treasure we have in our back yards!

And what a beautiful first day of summer! Looking up at Mt. Hood, I swore I could see the snow melting, although that may have been my imagination. I hope not!

When I got home, I put a spare leash in the car and some cord in Hysson's pack....

FYI, the Larch Mountain Road is still closed.

Delfiin

Re: Non-trip report, thanks to "senior moment"

Post by Delfiin » June 20th, 2008, 6:17 pm

All in all that still sounds like a pretty nice day. It always nice to do a little scenic drive. I'm with you in hoping that the snow is melting!

Petrarch1603

Post by Petrarch1603 » June 21st, 2008, 6:59 pm

thanks for the info about Larch mountain road. Still looking for info about when they open it. This website says its 'still closed.'

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/

I don't know how quick they will update it though

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 21st, 2008, 7:21 pm

Today I did the loop, complete with dog leash. This time I started at 6:30 am, no problems finding a parking spot. By the time I got back, though, the Horsetail lot was full and cars were parked way up and down the road.
triple falls.jpg
The obligatory shot of Triple Falls, not very good.
slug-triple falls.jpg
I actually met a hiker who goes more slowly than I do!
IMG_0567.jpg
Columbine is blooming nicely, as are many other flowers.
The trail has been worked over recently with gravel spread in low spots and is in excellent condition, except where the inevitable idiots have cut the switchbacks up to Pony Tail Falls.

Petrarch, if you'll look more closely at the Columbia Gorge NSR website, you'll notice that they refer people to this site for the latest trail conditions!