Cooold Spring Creek & Tamanawas Falls (Nov 20)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Crusak

Re: Cooold Spring Creek & Tamanawas Falls (Nov 20)

Post by Crusak » November 22nd, 2011, 7:45 pm

Splintercat wrote:
My favorite defense against the snow-down-your-back problem is just to wear the hood of my jacket...
That makes all the sense in the world, but for some reason I'm an anti-hoodite. I can't stand wearing 'em (though I always wear a brimmed hat, so have some protection from snow dumps). Worse, my winter jackets HAVE a hood, and so act as a basket for snow to collect in when I forget to zip them off the jacket.

:D
Amen! I can't stand wearing a hood either. But a hood is the answer, maybe.

In some areas there are deciduous tree saplings (like alder) that droop down and block the trail, due to the weight of the snow clinging to their branches. Mess with them and they spring right up out of the way, and shower you with snow in the process. :lol:

Great pictures! I'm sorry that you all missed the blue skies Sunday. They were quite blue out west. :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » November 22nd, 2011, 11:46 pm

Gorgeous! This is one I've always wanted to do in the winter, but have been stymied by the lack of parking at the trailhead once it gets buried by the snowplows shoveling snow off the highway.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 23rd, 2011, 12:27 pm

Keep an eye on the parking, Cheryl -- last year, it was plowed several times over the course of the winter, and it had been plowed last weekend, too. Plus, no sno-park required (though I bought one, since I was originally heading for Bennett Pass).

Tom

Tito goes hiking

Post by Tito goes hiking » November 23rd, 2011, 4:46 pm

Splintercat wrote:Like Gene and everyone else who flocked to the "sunny" mountain on Sunday afternoon, I was stymied by the low clouds. But the Tamanawas Falls trail is always a good option for overcast conditions, and having come in via Hood River, I bailed on any sunny possibilities at White River and reversed course back to the Cold Spring Creek trailhead.

The snow accumulation on the trail had been stomped down by at least one group of snowshoers, so was basically about 6-10 inches of packed snow... less under dense forest. I didn't bother with snowshoes, and didn't really even need traction devices to make the hike. I only saw one other hiker (a young woman with a dog arrived at the falls about 20 minutes after I did). Gaiters were very helpful, though.

Really pretty in there with snow, that's for sure! East Fork Hood River from the new footbridge:

Cold Spring Creek footbridge:

Tamanawas Falls:

Weird composite pano of Tamanawas Falls (kinda like my earlier version, except with snow):

I did manage to dump about 2 cubic feet of snow down my neck during the course of the hike, thanks to a LOT of loose stuff loading up the sagging branches along the trail... and me liberating them with my head... jeez!

-Tom :lol:

chameleon

Post by chameleon » November 23rd, 2011, 5:37 pm

Wow! Just stunning Tom! These pics have a pristine aura.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » November 23rd, 2011, 7:10 pm

Beautiful pictures. It's amazing how many shades of white there can be.

Brad

mayhem

Post by mayhem » November 25th, 2011, 8:48 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:
Splintercat wrote: I did manage to dump about 2 cubic feet of snow down my neck during the course of the hike, thanks to a LOT of loose stuff loading up the sagging branches along the trail... and me liberating them with my head... jeez!

-Tom :lol:
We had some huge down the neck snow dumpings up in Siouxon too, feels soooo good
on a loony bin snow shoe! :D
Great Pictures!! Splintercat.

Yes! The snow bombs. EP got hit with one that made him completely disappear for a few seconds. Bammm! That was funny!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Roy

Post by Roy » November 26th, 2011, 9:08 pm

your last photo is now my desk top back ground photo and forget about getting paid for it ;)
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 28th, 2011, 11:48 pm

Roy, send me your monitor dimensions in pixels, and I'll post a really nice, full-size version for you... no charge! :D

Roy

Post by Roy » December 2nd, 2011, 10:42 am

Splintercat wrote:Roy, send me your monitor dimensions in pixels, and I'll post a really nice, full-size version for you... no charge! :D
.Sadly i could not send you what you need photos are not my strong.point,.Ask me about the weather in 1969 and I could tell the freezing level ,precp high low temp and i can until last week easy. My dad had a similar abilities when in high school we used ask him Who one the the world series,MVP,most winning picture how many. innings and games were played. We bought a base ball almanac and he continually showed us up over a 25 40 year period.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura