Laurel Hill & the Barlow Rd

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dayhiker

Re: Laurel Hill & the Barlow Rd

Post by dayhiker » November 19th, 2023, 12:26 pm

Yes same as your "Section 6 - Hunters Camp final descent", but only to Hwy 26 on my map the smaller red line.

vs

dayhiker

Re: Laurel Hill & the Barlow Rd

Post by dayhiker » December 1st, 2023, 1:43 pm

Here a https://librarycatalog.ohs.org/O90000/G ... &Width=496 of the loop hwy (I think around the time it was being built but would have to find the link I clicked on to get to this link)

While below the tunnel (I think) and all the Wagon Roads? it still shows how much they changed the landscape to build even that road, though you can still see that when you go there. I couldn't tell if the cars are on this road or if the road curves around to the right of them. If so, I guess they are on a road for construction or a prior road before the loop HighWay.

This map shows the start and end of the horse trail down to kiwanis Camp (Waypoints with horses):

That route was so wide and easy I imagine it was graded, but there are no signs of it being cut into a slope, though the flat part extends way beyond the part that is traveled now. Amazing they missed this, even with the Twin Bridge
crossing or having to stay to this side of it? Is it harder than all the Sandy river crossing they would do? But I suppose the bank could be harder than the stream?

Photo of trail at the top

Photo at where I stopped, imagine they don't want you in their place, no signs, but I did not get any closer.

I hiked most of the trails from Ski Bowl down toward Hunters Camp (I turned back when that last part rejoined the trail I had already done, there was another part off trail that descended to that camp). Thanks for the track, fun hikes, interesting see where they went. Did they try to preserve those tracks at Ski Bowl or was that luck?
Did they find artifacts to verify they are indeed wagon ruts? They do look like that but I would not be able to declare them so.

Besides the way to the Kiwanis Camp I wonder why they did not stay on Laurel Hill? The top does look narrow, but the descent looks easier, at least according to the slope shading?