mosquito heaven on Mt Adams

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
skyline

mosquito heaven on Mt Adams

Post by skyline » August 16th, 2022, 8:45 am

Hi everyone! Longtime reader here of OregonHikers, first time poster.

We tempted fate by backpacking up on the NW side of Adams on August 11 & 12, knowing that things were likely to be buggy, and having been told by a friend that higher up, things were likely to be mellower on the mosquito front. An added source of motivation was that we knew we'd be there for the peak of wildflower season.

We arrived at the Divide Camp trailhead a bit before 9 am. Donned headnets in the car, shouldered our packs, and then quickly filled out the wilderness permit. The bugs weren't so bad for the first mile or so, but once we reached the meadows, the clouds of mosquitoes descended on us. It was hard to admire the glorious fields of lupine on the way up when the mere thought of stopping to take a photo seemed like one of the more masochistic things one could possibly do.
PXL_20220812_153509568.jpg
Even while moving, and covered in bug spray, my hands were being chewed on through the lightweight wool gloves I'd foolishly thought might keep the mosquitoes from biting. The side trail to Divide Camp looked about as inviting as a root canal. "Maybe things will be better on the PCT?" I wondered/hoped.

The bug situation *was* marginally better on the PCT, but our optimism was tested when the first backpacker we encountered told us that even at their campsite above the PCT, the bugs had been "horrible all day, all night, and horrible again this morning." Somewhat daunted, we nevertheless found ourselves a sweet spot above the trail and quickly set up the tent so we had a safe space to retreat to if needed. The occasional breeze helped somewhat, and I was relieved to discover that (during the heat of the day, at least) the area around the creek was actually less buggy than the campsite. (Not so at dusk.) This made filtering water a pleasant experience, as did the array of flowers lining the creek. My partner spent the majority of the trip inside the tent, and told me afterwards that she had been trying to figure out if peeing inside the tent would have been an option. There were usually a couple dozen mosquitoes waiting patiently on the tent for their opportunity to get at us as well as the occasional bumblebee-sized biting fly.

The weather was amazing -- clear skies, spectacular views of Rainier, St Helens, and Goat Rocks that became gradually hazier as the day wore on. Adams Glacier changed in color & character throughout the day.
PXL_20220812_031438288.jpg
The mosquitoes and flies were ever-present, except in the blissful hour after dawn. A quick note on headwear: I wore a baseball cap, and the headnet (which I seldom bothered wearing at the campsite) did *not* do a great job at keeping my ears from being chewed on. With her wide brim hat, my partner fared much better than I did on that front.

I would imagine that if you're sensitive to mosquitoes, they will still be an issue up there for another week or two.

drm

Re: mosquito heaven on Mt Adams

Post by drm » August 16th, 2022, 9:06 am

Well, you were warned and went anyway. The worst bugs I ever had on Adams were up high at High Camp. Going higher is no protection if it is not windy.

The thing is that the south side of Adams is bug-free, but everybody keeps going to the north. The south side has more burn (lots more burn) and fewer flowers - though there are some great areas oases. But you can sit outside at your camp and just enjoy it and don't need any bug technology. That's worth it to me. I am saving the north side for later.

PS - I have a wide brim hat with a headnet built in. Just unsnap and pull it out.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 17th, 2022, 5:58 am

I don't think I've ever been to Mosquito Heaven.

The name turns me off :)

jalepeno

Post by jalepeno » August 19th, 2022, 12:28 pm

In a tie for worst bugs I’ve experienced are the Sioux Hustler trail in the Boundary Waters and that area of Mt. Adams. Once I came down Killen Creek - running all the way- and jumped in the creek at the parking area.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 19th, 2022, 1:04 pm

I think the worst mosquitoes I've seen were several weeks ago in Goat Rocks

Worst biting flies were on Three Sisters in July. Also, July on Mt Hood.

July is just a bad month for bugs in alpine areas - after snow melts when things are still damp

skyline

Post by skyline » August 19th, 2022, 2:44 pm

jalepeno wrote:
August 19th, 2022, 12:28 pm
In a tie for worst bugs I’ve experienced are the Sioux Hustler trail in the Boundary Waters and that area of Mt. Adams. Once I came down Killen Creek - running all the way- and jumped in the creek at the parking area.
Amazing story, jalepeno!

The only time I've been to the Boundary Waters was in September so I dodged them completely... the worst mosquitoes I've experienced was probably on my first-ever backpacking trip, in Glacier NP back when I was a kid. A close second was an early season trip to Tuolumne Meadows in 2007. This Adams trip was right up there, though.
drm wrote:
August 16th, 2022, 9:06 am
The thing is that the south side of Adams is bug-free, but everybody keeps going to the north. The south side has more burn (lots more burn) and fewer flowers - though there are some great areas oases. But you can sit outside at your camp and just enjoy it and don't need any bug technology. That's worth it to me. I am saving the north side for later.
Thanks for the tip, drm! Sounds a lot more comfortable.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 19th, 2022, 3:36 pm

hmmm... I'll have to try that next time - south side of Adams - thanks for the tip

somebody told me that when he went on canoe trips in Boundary Waters, the first thing he did was jump into the water. The odors then confused the mosquitoes - they thought he was just part of nature.

TodF

Post by TodF » August 21st, 2022, 10:25 am

My wife and I hiked up from the Riley Camp TH to the PCT yesterday, before I saw this report :roll: It was a beautiful day but a similar story, especially once we got up to where all the ponds are. It was a little better when we got up to running water. I would say the mosquitoes and black flies were not unbearable, but they were very annoying, and I have a number of bites to extend the annoyance, despite using picaridin repellent. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to bring the bug nets for our hammock chairs, so my wife got a nice bug-free nap before heading back... and this is how I stay married. :lol:

IMG_0010.png