Veterans Creek, Mt Scott

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxalex

Veterans Creek, Mt Scott

Post by pdxalex » September 27th, 2021, 8:15 am

It looks like the trails are being shut down. The landowner of the forest below the Altamont summit has posted prominent "No Trespassing" signs along what the FG calls the Altamont Summit Trail including at the two junctions described in the FG. I don't yet know if there are signs on the trail if you start at the Mt Scott Blvd. entrance. This is a disappointing development since I've walked parts of this trail network 2-3 times a week since COVID hit. It always made for a pleasant after work stroll and gave me more wildlife sightings than I usually see in the national forests such as deer, howling coyotes, raccoons with distemper, and an endless supply of rabbits.

bobcat

Re: Veterans Creek, Mt Scott

Post by bobcat » September 27th, 2021, 10:58 am

Maybe it's just the connectors to the Altamont area that are blocked off? Veterans Creek off 98th is City of Portland property.

pdxalex

Re: Veterans Creek, Mt Scott

Post by pdxalex » September 27th, 2021, 12:17 pm

I'll check it out from the lower entrance later this week and update. The trail to the summit crosses through the posted property but the postings might be just to reduce traffic from Altamont Park.

9/29/21: I walked from the bottom entrance at 98th up to the cisterns, crossing Veterans Lane. I did not see any No Trespassing signs posted along the trail. It is possible that there is a different landowner for the property along the Altamont summit trail, that the landowner is just trying to restrict access from above, or that they haven't gotten around to posting anything where the trail crosses into their property. The trail is still in use, not that this means much. I was passed by a trail runner and there are fresh mountain bike tracks.