bottom of Three Corner Rock Trail + Timber Creek Tower

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

bottom of Three Corner Rock Trail + Timber Creek Tower

Post by Chip Down » September 24th, 2021, 7:14 pm

Today's plan:
1. Look for the bottom of Three Corner Rock Trail, which was obliterated by a road.
2. Find a radio tower which I've seen from various vantage points, fairly close to Three Corner Rock.

Went up Washougal River Road farther than I ever have, until the pavement ended at Dougan Falls. Turned up road W2000 with plans to go as high as possible, and then ride to the tower if it's allowed. In the first few miles, there was such a patchwork of public and private land, with various parking restrictions. I got spooked, and decided to drive back down to Dougan and park there. That was silly of me. There are campgrounds farther up the road, so I should have known I could park higher. Oh well, I need the exercise. Also, riding up the road allowed me to enjoy the river scenery and explore side roads and trails.

Along the way to my tower, I watched for the bottom of Three Corner Rock Trail. I was surprised at how easy it was to find. Don't try to use the old trailhead; go up the new road that obliterated the trail, and catch it there. The road cut is impossible to ascend, but a ramp has been carved out a little uphill, and leads to a rough connector trail. Then, Three Corner Rock Trail is in good shape, and a scenic pleasure to stroll, until it enters the clearcut. It's a little overgrown in the clearcut, but very easy to follow. At the first switchback in the clearcut, my curiosity was satisfied, so I descended. If somebody was coming down from TCR with no prior experience on this trail, they'd be dismayed when it ended at the road cut, as the new connector to the road isn't easy to spot.

I continued up to my tower, arriving at a confusing five-way junction before ascending east for the last few hundred feet. On the way back, I wanted to drop to Deer Creek and explore a bit, but I dreaded the hot sunny ascent out of that valley, so I didn't. Also, from the five-way junction I wanted to take the westbound road, for a big loop on the way down, but I knew that road was gated and signed at the bottom, so I had to return the way I came.
Attachments
1a.jpg
Yellow circle is my tower site.
1b.jpg
Three Corner Rock from tower. Also had views of Hood, and Adams through a gap in the trees, and Skamania Mountain. On the way up, had views of Bluff Mountain's east side, and Lookout Mountain.
2.jpg
3.jpg
Blue dot is access point for TCR trail.
4.jpg
TCR trail between road and clearcut.
5.jpg
TCR trail through clearcut.
6.jpg
My longest break of the day, on Washougal River far enough upstream that I had it to myself. I sat here and mourned the beer I forgot to pack.
7.jpg
Stebbins creek just barely above Washougal River.
8.jpg
Ran over this poor guy, but he seemed to be fine. He couldn't give me the finger, but he stuck out his tongue.
9.jpg
I've seen more of these in the past week than in the last five years.

Limey

Re: bottom of Three Corner Rock Trail + Timber Creek Tower

Post by Limey » September 25th, 2021, 8:25 pm

Wait, What? Chip forgot beer? Do you have a fever or something. :o :D

Chip Down

Re: bottom of Three Corner Rock Trail + Timber Creek Tower

Post by Chip Down » September 25th, 2021, 8:32 pm

Funny thing is, I brought my drinking jar and bottle opener, just no beer. Maybe I should keep a mini flask of 100-proof bourbon in my pack for emergencies.