Thanks to PortlandHikers members

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
jeffstatt

Thanks to PortlandHikers members

Post by jeffstatt » June 20th, 2008, 12:25 pm

I've been fielding a lot of kind thoughts from people on the new site. Thanks for the positive feedback. It's has been very encouraging!

I want to thank those who have stuck it out with us the last three months or so as the old site was getting pretty glitchy. I really appreciate your patience. It would have been easy for folks to stop trying. So thanks for sticking with us and helping make this transition go smoothly.

As I watch people slowly start popping up on this new site I can't help but grin as I see every new name , watch the avatars reappear, and watch the flood of new trip reports come in.

So...quick shout out to m'peeps:
  • Dan ("Martell") who has been quietly behind the scenes doing all the technical wizardary that makes us all look smarter than we are,
  • Jane ("Jane") who tirelessly researches and prepares the outings list every week, keeps us so well connected with all the doings in the outdoor community, and makes sure everyone feels welcomed and appreciated on the site
  • Steve ("Stevefromdodge") The guy leading the terrific Field Guide team and the primary reason it is the success it is today
  • Mary ("Grannyhiker") our Treasurer, a great advocate, and the one that keeps me from forgetting to pay the bills!, and
  • Tom ("Splintercat") who's constant enthusiasm and guidence have helped us stay on track and was key in the creation of Trailkeepers of Oregon.
All I did was put up a corkboard and a bowl full of thumb tacks - you all did all the rest :)

BCJ

Re: Thanks to PortlandHikers members

Post by BCJ » June 20th, 2008, 12:43 pm

You guys have done some great word and it's appreciated very much!

anna in boots

A round of applause....

Post by anna in boots » June 20th, 2008, 8:38 pm

...to the heroes of PortlandHikers' phoenix-like transition: from the ashes of electronic frustration arose the gleaming spires of a brand-spanking new website. Thank you for letting us all know who has been shouldering the load for us, dedicating their time, their ingenuity, and their determination to making this a site to brag about. I now know there was a team of dedicated souls doggedly pressing on while the rest of us whimpered and rung our hands over dwindling performance on the site that was.

As the type of person who needs to lock the door, turn off the phone, and focus intently just to program new numbers into my cellphone, I personally appreciate those of you out there who know how to do "computer stuff." Just think, all this amazing technical and organizational skill donated--DONATED!--just so a lone hiker like me has access to a constantly accumulating database of valuable geographical information, wonderful trip advice, and timely trail reports from fellow nature lovers.

I have only been here a month and I'm already having a blast. Thanks for making it all possible. I'll do what I can by hosting Meet-n-Greets so we all can eventually shake your hands for real.

Love you all! OXOXOXOX

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Luv2Kayak

Post by Luv2Kayak » June 24th, 2008, 8:27 am

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks to you folks who have provided such a wonderful resource for those of us who like to get out on the trail! I hike with various groups, and I always find myself recommending PortlandHikers.org to folks who have not yet come across it.

This new site is terrific... and no glitches in trying to post replies as on the old site! Yay! :-)

I appreciate especially Jane Garbisch for her compilation of the week's upcoming hikes, making it so easy to browse through and see who's going where. Great way to join a group on a hike to a previously undiscovered destination! :-) I happen to subscribe to the associated Yahoo Group, via the Digest form, and so about once a week I get an e-mail that compiles all the individual postings Jane makes for each group's hikes, and I have one long e-mail so easy to browse through! :-)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hikersnetwork_portland

Thanks SO much, Jane, and the rest of the PortlandHikers.org team! :-)

jaimito

Post by jaimito » June 27th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Thanks guys… if anyone can appreciate the work you all have done it is me!

Keep it up, now get back to work ( hiking )

Cheers / Jamie

Jane

Post by Jane » June 27th, 2008, 11:01 pm

Thank you Luv2Kayak! I apologize that recently I've been off the routine of regular posting, with the server glitches on the old site and the transition here now, and just life's busy-ness, I havn't been back on track yet - but will be soon! And many thanks to ALL who make this site so fun and informative and pretty darn cool ; )

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » June 28th, 2008, 12:32 am

As one of the people Jeff mentioned, I'm in a bit of an unusual position and I find that I have a big thank you to give.

I'll confess guilty to the charge of doing a lot of Field Guide work, but the Field Guide wouldn't even exist without Jeff. As I understand it, this whole site started with Jeff Statt and Jeff Black dreaming about a hiking site. It was their vision and hard work that created our site in the first place. Jeff Black has moved on to other pursuits, but Jeff Statt continues to work hard on the site almost daily.

In addition, Jeff generously funds the site out his own pocket. The site is supported by voluntary donations, often through the paypal link on the home page. There have been months with enough donations and months where he sweet talks his wife. Jeff is always too upstanding to mention it, but I'm a little more pragmatic. If you enjoy the site and your personal financial situation allows it, please consider donating. After all, we all benefit from the site.

The other place we can use help is time. It takes time to type stuff up, but the results are what make the site so valuable. Please always feel free to post your trip reports and other notes even if others have been the same places. If you want to contribute even more, there's always room for Field Guide contributors on all levels, from full-fledged editors to casual scribblers. Contact me or any other Field Guide editor through a Private Message if you'd like to help out.

Luv2Kayak

Post by Luv2Kayak » June 28th, 2008, 9:12 am

Thanks for the reminder about the PayPal button, Steve! Have contributed. Thanks SO much, Jeff, for this site. I can't think of a better resource for those of us in the area who like to get out and hit the trails! :-)

I asssume there is another calendar in the works? Thanks to all the folks who contributed their fantastic photos for the 2008 calendar! It's such good quality paper, too. I'd like to see another calendar fundraiser this year, presumably in plenty of time for us to snap up several for holiday presents in December. :-)