The Dogs of Oregon Hikers

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
guernica

Re: The Dogs of Portland Hikers

Post by guernica » September 5th, 2011, 7:26 am

Love this thread!

Anne, those dogs are so cute! :shock:

Probably my favorite picture ever of Yobo (pug) and Rocky (boxer), nearing Jordan Basin in Goat Rocks, 2004.
10 (90).JPG
Their both getting older now, and we've retired Yobo from hiking this year due to health problems. She's 12. We jokingly call her Iron Pug. :D Rocky is still my loyal, loyal boy.

Near Obsidian, Three Sisters Wilderness, 2010.
IMG_4024.jpg

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 5th, 2011, 7:29 am

Aw, look at those guys. I hardly ever see pugs. I could never get my dogs to keep their boots on.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Paul

Post by Paul » September 5th, 2011, 1:48 pm

Love all the pups in this thread! I never go without my pups.

Scout Lake - Jeff Park

Eileen Lake - Three Sisters

Indian Heaven

Whatum Lake

Gorton Creek Trail - "Where we going now?"
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 5th, 2011, 1:58 pm

The best hiking companions ever. I have always liked your signature line by Will Rogers.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

nudgeelynn

Post by nudgeelynn » September 7th, 2011, 6:59 pm

This is Oden. I "rent" him from friends when I'm in need of a hiking/backpacking partner. I can't wait until I can stop renting and start owning. :D
192887_1706056549519_1781207006_1130101_4831894_o.jpg
290248_1706069309838_1781207006_1130134_6494610_o.jpg

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 10th, 2011, 6:39 am

anne37 wrote:My Russellz, being small, easily sunburned and extra long, can't hike as much as I'd like. Tom, Dick and Harry was their last big adventure. But here they are getting their ears blown back at Crater Lake. :lol:
How'd I miss these mighty dogs. Never underestimate the power of a Russell :)

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 10th, 2011, 6:41 am

Rental dog. I like that idea. Good to have a rental available when you can't have your own for awhile. Looks like a good hiker.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 11th, 2011, 10:53 am

Welcome Oden!

Since we're on the topic of dogs, I thought I'd post something I discovered the other night (and is probably old news to most), and relevant to those of us who hike with dogs. We had been giving AdvanTIX to our big dogs (since I hike with them, and they have a lot of fur) to deal with ticks, but had been using AdvanTAGE with our little dog, since he doesn't hike with me, and has almost no fur (in which ticks can hide).

But a couple days ago, when I was putting their drops on, I noticed that AdvanTIX actually has other, significant bug-repelling benefits beyond ticks of interest to hikers -- here's the rundown:

Advantage:
Fleas & Larvae
Lice

Advantix:
Fleas & Larvae
Lice
Ticks
Mosquitos
Biting Flies

It does mean that you're putting more toxics on your pet, but even if you only used AdvanTIX during the spring and summer, you'd be doing your pup a favor with biting flies and mosquitos, in addition to ticks.

Again, probably old news to most, but thought I'd post this for others who don't read instructions (like yours truly)....

-Tom :)

mayhem

Post by mayhem » September 11th, 2011, 12:13 pm

Paul wrote:Love all the pups in this thread! I never go without my pups.

Eileen Lake - Three Sisters
Dude! I was going to ask if you were showing your tired dogs (Feet) I thought you were making a funny! I Looked at it on my iphone 3gs a few days ago then went to make a reply & just noticed the Black Dog! :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 11th, 2011, 5:01 pm

Splintercat wrote:Welcome Oden!

Since we're on the topic of dogs, I thought I'd post something I discovered the other night (and is probably old news to most), and relevant to those of us who hike with dogs. We had been giving AdvanTIX to our big dogs (since I hike with them, and they have a lot of fur) to deal with ticks, but had been using AdvanTAGE with our little dog, since he doesn't hike with me, and has almost no fur (in which ticks can hide).

But a couple days ago, when I was putting their drops on, I noticed that AdvanTIX actually has other, significant bug-repelling benefits beyond ticks of interest to hikers -- here's the rundown:

Advantage:
Fleas & Larvae
Lice

Advantix:
Fleas & Larvae
Lice
Ticks
Mosquitos
Biting Flies

It does mean that you're putting more toxics on your pet, but even if you only used AdvanTIX during the spring and summer, you'd be doing your pup a favor with biting flies and mosquitos, in addition to ticks.

Again, probably old news to most, but thought I'd post this for others who don't read instructions (like yours truly)....

-Tom :)
I used advantix for awhile just in summer and I think it worked better than frontline. The dogs didn't seem to have any issues with toxicity but my vet steered me away from it because if one of my cats might lick the dogs hair it could kill the cat.