The Dogs of Oregon Hikers

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Waffle Stomper

Re: The Dogs of Portland Hikers

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 11th, 2011, 5:02 pm

mayhem wrote:Dude! I was going to ask if you were showing your tired dogs (Feet) I thought you were making a funny! I Looked at it on my iphone 3gs a few days ago then went to make a reply & just noticed the Black Dog! :)
I'm glad I was not alone, I had to look twice at the photo too. :lol:
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

fettster

Post by fettster » September 11th, 2011, 9:24 pm

Okay, I'm terribly biased, but these photos of my dog Kodi as a pup that I received from the breeder have always been some favorites of mine:

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 12th, 2011, 6:00 am

Oh goodness, now that just made my morning.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Paul

Post by Paul » September 12th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Oh Lord! Those pups are SO cute. :)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 12th, 2011, 8:46 pm

So precious! Fettster, what breed is Kodi? Looks sort of like a furrier version of the Shiba Inu (of Puppycam fame). Probably because he's also a Northern Breed (which have in common the curly tail and the resulting prominent butt).

Paul, so glad to see you and your dogs here--you've been absent for quite a while!

Re "rental" dogs: My daughter-the-veterinarian and her husband occasionally have "rental" dogs--temporary fostering for Canine Companions for Independence and Guide Dogs for the Blind. Here's one they fostered for about 6 weeks earlier this year while he was recovering from a cough. Caden recently graduated as a full-fledged guide dog!

kateinoregon

Post by kateinoregon » September 13th, 2011, 2:26 pm

Last year, my two Cavaliers put in over 500 miles hiking with me and we are still going strong this year. Here are some recent photos. Cali is the tri-color female; Cecil is the black and tan male. Notice they are ALWAYS on a tandem 8" leash (I am a bit of a leash fanatic as my dogs have been set upon by both larger and smaller dogs four times this year.
Attachments
102_7565.JPG
At the Mt. St. Helens Windy Ridge facility with Mt. Rainier in the background
102_1947.jpg
On the Cape Lookout Campground Trail
IMG_2099.JPG
At Timberline Lodge
IMG_2102.JPG
Overlooking Manzanita

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 13th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Grannyhiker: Congratulations to Caden and the work he does as well as those who brought him up to be the dog he is.

Kateinoregon: Cavaliers are such hardy dogs. I see them running in agility, they can surely can run with the big dogs :)

fettster

Post by fettster » September 13th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:So precious! Fettster, what breed is Kodi? Looks sort of like a furrier version of the Shiba Inu (of Puppycam fame). Probably because he's also a Northern Breed (which have in common the curly tail and the resulting prominent butt).
Yep, you got it, he is a northern breed. He's a Norwegian Buhund. The tan color is more common for the breed, but there's also a black variation.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 13th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Thought I'd merge this theme with "Travels in Time" -- here's me and my brothers (and our courageous sister) at Frog Lake in the summer of 1962. I'm youngest, so yes - that's me being packed around by my oldest brother Pete. But the relevant part of this photo is our Springer Spaniel named "Cocoa".

She was trained as a hunting dog, and was a constant companion on our hikes and camping trips -- including my infamous first backpack to Serene Lake. I still miss her, after all these years, and always love seeing Springers on the trail!

-Tom :)

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 14th, 2011, 2:01 pm

Sweet dog!

Cute baby, too! :lol: