Sunrise, sunset...and the moon

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
anna in boots

Sunrise, sunset...and the moon

Post by anna in boots » September 17th, 2008, 6:06 pm

What's with all these great colors? Apricot moons, tangerine suns, pink mornings, terra cotta evenings....

Is it the smoke from the fires? I'm lovin' it! Back in '02, when the Rocky Mountain News declared "All of Colorado is Burning," we had the weirdest light in Denver from all the smoke, as if the sun had been replaced with dirty fluorescents and we were all living in one, big, inescapable Wal-mart. ARRRRGGGH! From one pyro to another, though, the air smelled great.

However, this is much better.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Grannyhiker

Re: Sunrise, sunset...and the moon

Post by Grannyhiker » September 17th, 2008, 10:32 pm

I don't know if this is the source of our present thick haze, but there are active forest fires at Gnarl Ridge on Mt. Hood, Willamette Pass and the Sky Lakes Wilderness in OR, and the CA forest fires are still smoldering. Certainly tonight's sunset and moonrise were downright eerie! You may have noticed that it was more humid today, too--this also adds to the haze.

I don't know how long you've been here, Anna, but fall sunsets around here are often spectacular. Lots of dust and smoke, etc., accumulate over our dry summers. The east winds bring lots of dust from the dryland wheat fields of eastern Oregon and Washington. For 5 years I worked for Kaiser Permanente at what is now their Central Interstate Medical Office (formerly their Regional Administration Building). My office was on the west side overlooking Overlook Park, and the sunsets in the fall were always spectacular. In October (a busy time for us accountants) we never got much work done while the sun was setting.

I remember the fall of 1988, the year of the big fires in Yellowstone and numerous other big fires in the Rockies and the Intermountain region. My daughter and I did a Labor-Day hike at Chinook Pass at Mt. Rainier (the Naches Pass loop) and noticed that to the east there was no view but instead a thick black cloud. That was forest-fire smoke settled over the whole area from the Columbia Basin eastward. We lived in the Columbia Basin then but hadn't realized until we got above it how much gunk we had been breathing!