Anyone know what the mosquitos are like at 4000'?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Cattrapper

Anyone know what the mosquitos are like at 4000'?

Post by Cattrapper » August 22nd, 2008, 2:04 am

I'm going to be in the Lake Harriet area today on business. I thought if time permits, I may hike the Rock Lakes-Serene Lake-Cache Meadow Loop, or some part there of. Just wondering if I'll need to bath in DEET first.

Darin
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

BCJ

Re: Anyone know what the mosquitos are like at 4000'?

Post by BCJ » August 22nd, 2008, 8:37 am

Mosquitoes are a location thing so the elevation (especially at only 4000') isn't really relevant. It's been a late hatch this year so I would bring the DEET and use it if you need it.

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » August 24th, 2008, 12:49 pm

i was just there and just got back a half hour ago. there are mosquitos everywhere, especially in the mornings. definitely need to put bug spray on.... i was there 3 days and i forgot to get more spray!!!!!!! BAD MISTAKE!!!!!!

beautiful area though!
Jamey Pyles

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » August 24th, 2008, 6:07 pm

Thanks Jamey, I didn't make it there anyway, not enough time. So, I made a quick dash in and out of Shellrock Lake instead. The mosquitos were definitely there, but I didn't stop long enough for them to swarm on me, made it out with just a couple of bites.

Darin
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

yosemite hiker

Post by yosemite hiker » August 25th, 2008, 8:01 am

pyles_94 wrote:i was just there and just got back a half hour ago. there are mosquitos everywhere, especially in the mornings. definitely need to put bug spray on.... i was there 3 days and i forgot to get more spray!!!!!!! BAD MISTAKE!!!!!!

beautiful area though!
I'm planning on going to serene and rock lakes this weekend. Were there any huckleberries?

Thanks, Mark

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » August 25th, 2008, 8:09 am

well the huckleberry plants were literally the undergrowth of the forest... but i saw and ate a total of 3 huckleberries that were ripe near the lakes. maybe you might get a handful next weekend if there is some sun this week, but most of them will probably be ripe in a few weeks.
Jamey Pyles