New Site FAQ

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
jeffstatt

New Site FAQ

Post by jeffstatt » June 11th, 2008, 9:17 pm

I anticipate a bunch of questions. Feel free to post them to this thread and we'll try our best to answer them all. In the mean time, here are some that are likely to come up.
-----------------

Do I create a new login?
No! Please don't. If you've been a user on our old site your username should already be on file on this site. I'll will help later when we transfer the old trip reports and forums posts over.

Then what's my password?
We created your username with a generic password. Hopefully you got an email with that password automatically. If not - no fear - you can use the "lost password" feature on this site and it will get mailed to you again. Now...if this still doesn't work, then it's probably because the email address you used when you first created your login is no longer any good. If that's the case email me at [email protected]and we'll get you the password.

But I'm new to the site!
If you are a new user to the site, then of course - by all means - create a login and get active! :)

Ok what happened to my photo gallery?
Right now we have no photo gallery on the new site - yet. We will. That's a step to come in the next month. For the time being, your photos are still on the old site, which you can get to by clicking the "Archive" tool bar button near the top of this page.

What about all the old trip reports n stuff? :shock: ?
Like the photo galleries, we're going to move all the posts and trips reports over in the coming weeks and months. Just too much for us to bite off all at once!

What are all these codes on the top of the message area, and how the heck do I make my font bold?
This forum works a bit different. It uses BBCode to format your text. I'll be building a small tutorial to help with this.

In the mean time:
  • Feel free to use the user test forum to play around with it.
  • Be sure to become friends with the new "Preview" button before you post a new message.
  • Here is a handy BBCode reference on phpBB.com that will explain a lot of this.
Please give this some time. For most I think you will find this better in the end - I hope! At least much more predictable!

What was wrong with the old site? Why did we have to change?
The old site suffered from two main problems:
  • GoDaddy (our hosting provider) did not allow us to increase our database size past 500 mb. We've been maxed around that since Nov 2007. GD was also very unreceptive during times when our server performance crashed.
  • Glitchy software: the Community Server software was glitchy and did not behave well with non-Internet Explorer browsers. It was a bit of a support headache.
Are there more changes coming?
Very likely. As I've already mentioned we'll be moving the posts and galleries over. We'll be offering a new photo gallery. The look and feel will be tweeked as we get feedback, and we have someone helping us create a new logo.

retired jerry

Re: New Site FAQ

Post by retired jerry » June 17th, 2008, 5:20 am

When I selct any of the commands on the menu bar (home, field guide, forums, new posts,...) it logs me out, bummer.

Thanks so much for the hard work to move things over to the new site, it looks great!

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 17th, 2008, 7:06 am

Bummer man. That just started this morning. Ah software....

Martell

Post by Martell » June 17th, 2008, 7:34 am

Hopefully this is fixed.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 17th, 2008, 9:39 am

yes, it's fixed now, thanks

this site is really great now, good job!!!

joerunner

Post by joerunner » June 17th, 2008, 3:01 pm

It is probably very obvious but how do I change my password?

Martell

Post by Martell » June 17th, 2008, 3:09 pm

Go to User Control Panel/Profile/Edit account settings to change your password.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

joerunner

Post by joerunner » June 20th, 2008, 7:35 am

Martell wrote:Go to User Control Panel/Profile/Edit account settings to change your password.

Got it, thanks!