Pesky Rangers

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Jewelle

Pesky Rangers

Post by Jewelle » August 7th, 2010, 4:34 pm

Anyone been bothered by rangers while climbing St. Helens? Heard yes, and no. If so, do they ask for your permit?

romann

Re: Pesky Rangers

Post by romann » August 7th, 2010, 7:17 pm

I also have this question.

Also, how does the route to the "true" summit (west of a popular Monitor Ridge route) look like? Some maps show it, some maps don't. Is it used often, and is it more difficult and dangerous than a standard Monitor Ridge route?

Jewelle

Post by Jewelle » August 7th, 2010, 7:25 pm

From what I've read, it's about 125 ft higher, steeper, and all ash. I have a couple friends going in 2 weeks and they have no permits. I'm curious if I have to bail them out of jail!!

Roy

Post by Roy » August 7th, 2010, 11:03 pm

Jewelle wrote:Anyone been bothered by rangers while climbing St. Helens? Heard yes, and no. If so, do they ask for your permit?
I have made 124 trips up St. Helens and more than half were during permit season I have been checked maybe a dozen times. Sometimes on the mountain sometimes at the 4800 ft level. I could share my climbing without permit knowledge with you but I would have to kill you :D

Just wait till after labor day and check the web site spots are open through September and October. You can purchase them the day before and have a relaxing trip.This shows month to month permit availability http://www.active.com/availability.cfm? ... CHECKSSO=0.
Last edited by Roy on August 8th, 2010, 8:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Roy

Post by Roy » August 7th, 2010, 11:19 pm

romann wrote:I also have this question.

Also, how does the route to the "true" summit (west of a popular Monitor Ridge route) look like? Some maps show it, some maps don't. Is it used often, and is it more difficult and dangerous than a standard Monitor Ridge route?
You can take the Butte camp trail to the western side and go up its a great early season trip with a glissade that rivals Adams. No particular dangers just a little steeper and very loose scree later in the season. Or you can leave the climbers bivouac and go west on the Loowit until the butte camp junction and head up. The route is skied more than hiked I believe either way you go your going to add three to five miles to your trip.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Roy

Post by Roy » August 7th, 2010, 11:23 pm

Jewelle wrote:From what I've read, it's about 125 ft higher, steeper, and all ash. I have a couple friends going in 2 weeks and they have no permits. I'm curious if I have to bail them out of jail!!
I heard they are raising the permit price to one thousand dollars to offset the cost of the new detention facility at the climbers bivouac :lol:

Jewelle

Post by Jewelle » August 8th, 2010, 7:38 am

That's awesome!! I hope it has TV and hot food. Thanks for the info. I'll tell them to take their chances.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 8th, 2010, 8:20 am

"I heard they are raising the permit price to one thousand dollars to offset the cost of the new detention facility at the climbers bivouac"

Yes, it turns out that was in the fine print in Arizona's new immigration law... carry your papers!

;)

jalepeno

Post by jalepeno » August 9th, 2010, 8:29 am

I wouldn't do it when the the snow is gone. The route is all pumice then.
The west route is great early in the season: you get to have solitude, kick steps straight up, and glissade down. There's water at Butte Camp too. My friend and I did it that way on an early July weekend several years ago and did not see another party on the route.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » August 9th, 2010, 12:05 pm

On your question about pesky rangers...

The answer is a big 10-4. I had to laugh when I read your question, it brought back my memories of Ranger Rude. It was September 1991 (yes, in a galaxy a long, long time ago), and we were camped below the permit line with our permit in hand ready to get a start for the summit the next morning. It was somewhere in the 6 pm hour and we were eating dinner and this jack-donkey strolls into our camp and starts kicking our fire logs all over the pumice field saying that our fire ring was too risky in terms of starting a forest fire. I thought the scattering of burning embers was a unique twist on the Smokey the Bear concept. Then he explained that the signage had been posted for convenience and we were actually camped at just over the elevation limit of 4800'. We would need to create a whole new campsite, and if we didn't like it, we could take it up with his boss the next day. I let him know that I planned to do just that (and did via letter, since his boss did not show up at the trailhead as promised). Yes, it was an interesting display that I have never seen repeated. I doubt you will run into the same situation, but you are likely to be asked for your permit. Happy climbing.