Hunting Seasons

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
backcountryhunter

Hunting Seasons

Post by backcountryhunter » August 3rd, 2008, 12:57 pm

I posted this in the news section but feel it also needs to be here so everyone can see it.

Some advice I always try to give hikers around hunting seasons:

Please wear hunter orange. Either a hat or a vest and that goes for the dogs also.... A scarf tied to the day pack or hunter orange ribbon tied to the day pack helps also.

If you are a hunter please always identify your target. Shooting at a sound or into the brush because "something" moved is unacceptable, unethical and dangerous and leads to tragedies like the hiker getting killed in Washington by a young bear hunter.

Tony Heckard
Secretary
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers
http://www.backcountryhunters.org

Cattrapper

Re: Hunting Seasons

Post by Cattrapper » August 3rd, 2008, 3:48 pm

Great advice!
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 3rd, 2008, 4:00 pm

Maybe someone could post a schedule for those of us , well certainly me at least, that would not have the first clue when and where and for what the many different hunting seasons actually are?

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » August 3rd, 2008, 8:37 pm

I haven't previously worried about seasons other than the general hunting season which opens at the beginning of October in OR and in mid-October in WA. However, after the recent incident of the bear hunter, I think I'm going to drag out my blaze orange vest and Hysson's neckerchief a lot sooner.

The past two years I've looked up the seasons in both states and posted them here, but since I'm getting ready to take off for a few weeks I'll let someone else do it. Obviously, bear season has already started in WA even though the "spring" snows are still melting. If someone else could do the appropriate googling this year and post the results, I'd be most grateful.

When I lived in rural Pennsylvania in the 1960's the laws were such that any "accidental" shooting was considered negligence on the part of the shooter and would be prosecuted. If you "accidentally" shot and killed someone you would be prosecuted for involuntary manslaughter. All our neighbors hunted (as did we) and I never once heard a single complaint about this strict policy.

zombie

Post by zombie » August 3rd, 2008, 8:50 pm

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hu ... easons.asp

That is the link for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife's list of Hunting Seasons. Below is a link to Washington's.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/seasons.htm

Charley

Post by Charley » August 3rd, 2008, 9:40 pm

Thanks for posting the hunting season schedule. I have a question that probably sounds pretty dumb, but hey, I'm no hunter:
Can folks hunt just about anywhere? Of course, I've seen "No Hunting" signs, but in general, if I go into a National Forest, or Wilderness Area, or BLM administered area, or a State Park, or if I'm on some marginal land, say, between a highway and a private land boundary, am I potential target?
Any answers will help clear up a good deal of ignorance on my part!
thanks,
Charley
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » August 3rd, 2008, 9:57 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:When I lived in rural Pennsylvania in the 1960's the laws were such that any "accidental" shooting was considered negligence on the part of the shooter and would be prosecuted. If you "accidentally" shot and killed someone you would be prosecuted for involuntary manslaughter. All our neighbors hunted (as did we) and I never once heard a single complaint about this strict policy.
Sounds reasonable to me. As a hunter myself, I see absolutely no excuse for most "accidental" shootings. It's negligence, pure and simple.
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » August 3rd, 2008, 10:26 pm

Charley wrote:Thanks for posting the hunting season schedule.
Please, everyone keep in mind that the schedule above is only for the general season hunts. There are hundreds of controlled hunts, which are restricted to shorter time periods and much smaller areas, throughout the year. To the best of my knowledge, June and July are the only months of the year that have absolutely no legal big game hunting seasons. The rest of the year there is some type of hunting going on somewhere in the state.
I have a question that probably sounds pretty dumb, but hey, I'm no hunter:
Can folks hunt just about anywhere? Of course, I've seen "No Hunting" signs, but in general, if I go into a National Forest, or Wilderness Area, or BLM administered area, or a State Park, or if I'm on some marginal land, say, between a highway and a private land boundary, am I potential target?
Any answers will help clear up a good deal of ignorance on my part!
thanks,
Charley
Great question!

In general, all National Forest, State Forest, Wilderness Area, BLM Lands, as well as Private land with permission, and some Wildlife Refuges are open to hunting. All Park lands, be they National, State, County, or City are off limits to hunting.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "marginal land", so I'll leave that for someoone else to answer.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » August 3rd, 2008, 11:35 pm

I am very wet behind the ears on the whole hunting deal myself, and am a bit confused now. Are you guys saying that your allowed to hunt in areas like Mt Hood NF where there are hiking trails and all?

While hiking the Salmon-Huck Wilderness this afternoon (dressed in green and brown), I was walking through a potential hunting area?

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » August 4th, 2008, 1:45 am

Yes, that's correct. However, off the top of my head, the only seasons open at present are Black Bear and Cougar. So, the number of hunters out right now would be fairly low. Also, most hunters aren't going to want to hunt in an area frquented by a lot of people, it makes finding game rather difficult.