Mt Rainier NP

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
backcountryhunter

Mt Rainier NP

Post by backcountryhunter » August 3rd, 2008, 12:48 pm

OK I am in need of a couple of mental health days. My back is getting better and I need to get away. I have never been to Mt Rainier NP and want to go for four days. I plan on leaving on a Wednesday at noon from PDX and driving north. My question is what is the best way to see, camp and hike Tahoma in four days??

Sore Feet

Re: Mt Rainier NP

Post by Sore Feet » August 4th, 2008, 10:45 am

backcountryhunter wrote:OK I am in need of a couple of mental health days. My back is getting better and I need to get away. I have never been to Mt Rainier NP and want to go for four days. I plan on leaving on a Wednesday at noon from PDX and driving north. My question is what is the best way to see, camp and hike Tahoma in four days??
You gonna backpack or just car camp it? If you're car camping, I'd suggest staying at Ohanapecosh because its sort of central to everything. Sunrise and Paradise are essential, I'd suggest the Fremont Lookout Trail, the Skyline Trail (expect snow), the Comet Falls / Van Trump Park trail and maybe Bench and Snow Lakes too. Plus all the roadside goodness. Really all you have to do is drive through the park and you'll find plenty to see and do.

If you're thinking of backpacking, stay on the north side of the mountain, its much clearer of snow right now. The Northern Loop would be great for 4 days.

Martell

Post by Martell » August 4th, 2008, 11:22 am

I'd put in a vote White River for car camping. It's at the NE corner of the park, so it's a bit more of a drive, but there is a trail leading straight from the campground to a glacier. That's pretty cool if you ask me. It's also a short drive to Sunrise which has some amazing hikes (you can even hike to Sunrise from the campground, I did a shuttle hike from Sunrise to the camp, which was mostly downhill).
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

backcountryhunter

Post by backcountryhunter » August 4th, 2008, 12:00 pm

Thanks guys. I have my hiking Rainier book in hand checking out the suggestions.

T

mikerswllg

Post by mikerswllg » August 4th, 2008, 3:05 pm

I was just at Rainier, in the Sunrise area. Camped at White River.
The hike from White River to Sunrise is not that long but you gain a ton of elevation (over 2000') in only a few miles. Of course it probably seemed worse for me as I did it at the end of a 13.5 mile loop. Oops. If you hike to the end of glacier basin trail from the White River campground there are some nice secluded campsites. I imagine you need a permit to use them. It might be cooler to start at Sunrise and hike there via the Burroughs Mountain trail (5.7 miles). The landscape is stunning, with arctic like tundras that are mostly snow free. I'll try and post pics if I get the chance.

Robert Ballard

Post by Robert Ballard » August 4th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Sore Feet wrote:
You gonna backpack or just car camp it? If you're car camping, I'd suggest staying at Ohanapecosh because its sort of central to everything. Sunrise and Paradise are essential, I'd suggest the Fremont Lookout Trail, the Skyline Trail (expect snow), the Comet Falls / Van Trump Park trail and maybe Bench and Snow Lakes too. Plus all the roadside goodness. Really all you have to do is drive through the park and you'll find plenty to see and do.

If you're thinking of backpacking, stay on the north side of the mountain, its much clearer of snow right now. The Northern Loop would be great for 4 days.
I'll second the recommendation for Bench and Snow Lakes. Be prepared for a lot of bugs though. There were lots of mosquitoes around the lakes, but the biting flies everywhere were worse.

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » August 5th, 2008, 12:14 am

I was at Sunrise today and the Mozzies were as bad as I've ever seen them up there. Actually I've never seen Mozzies up there before, but they were pretty bad regardless.

backcountryhunter

Post by backcountryhunter » August 5th, 2008, 8:05 am

Robert Ballard wrote:
Sore Feet wrote:

I'll second the recommendation for Bench and Snow Lakes. Be prepared for a lot of bugs though. There were lots of mosquitoes around the lakes, but the biting flies everywhere were worse.

No I need to car camp right now. I am gonna need too much cushion on the ground to do this. I figured if my back hurt too bad I'll get up and sit and sleep in a chair.
So I'll car camp and hit some trails from there. It appears there are many and might require several trips in order to see them all :mrgreen: