Please keep your dog on leash!

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Grannyhiker

Please keep your dog on leash!

Post by Grannyhiker » July 30th, 2008, 6:19 am

Although we don't yet have the details, a leashed dog would not be able to fall off the cliffs up there. Please, keep your dog on leash, especially when hiking in steep, cliffy areas!

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews ... wn_co.html

Paul

Re: Please keep your dog on leash!

Post by Paul » July 30th, 2008, 11:58 am

RIP Casey. :cry:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

Charley

Post by Charley » July 30th, 2008, 12:07 pm

I second that- I got bit by an unleashed dog the other day. The owners said, of course, that it was a real nice dog and that it never bites anyone, but jeez, a dog is just a watered down predator. It wasn't a bad bite, but it really ticked me off, and could easily have been prevented by keeping the dog ON the leash!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

fetch

Post by fetch » July 30th, 2008, 12:43 pm

I don't want to stray too, too far off topic. What happened is indeed a shame and could have likely been prevented by proper leash restraint. I will say this - your heartbeat would become irregular, too, if your pain level increased. Pain is treatable; I suspect there was more to the decision to euthanize than what the article says but nobody likes to hear the truth. It isn't polite.

I know this topic creates sweeping divides amongst hikers and other outdoor types. So I'll just say this; if you cannot keep your animal within your visual line of sight 100% of the time and it does not respond to verbal recall 100% of the time in 100% of situations, your animal has no business being off leash to begin with if there is even the teeniest, tiniest, chance you'll encounter another human being. If you can do those two things 100% of the time, you're animal has every right to be off leash where it is not prohibited by law.

But what I really wanted to point out is I sincerely hope anyone getting bit on the trail is taking down the owner's information *off of ID* and filing a report. ALL biting dogs and cats need to have their rabies immunization status confirmed and go through proper at-home with veterinary follow-up or in-facility quarantine to ensure there is no rabies involvement. Yes, it seems silly. Especially if you are far away from home and perhaps even in another county/state. And quite frankly, if you don't drive the bus, it'll likely not be followed up on by those responsible for following up. But the laws are there (and every state has them) to protect YOU from a 100% fatal once-clinical-signs-develop rabies transmission. Is it likely the animal bit because it was rabid? Probably not. But, boy, let me tell you, when the rabies test results come back "positive", you're sure glad you bothered to quarantine/test.

I guarantee if your dog bites me on the trail and breaks skin, you'll be getting your driver's license/ID card back from the nearest police station if I don't have a pen and paper handy. To be fair, I'll even give you mine in exchange. Otherwise, I will follow you up and down the trail until I can visually confirm what car make/plate is yours and write it down. NO cat/dog/bat/raccoon/skunk/fox/coyote/wolf/etc. will bite me and not be confirmed to be rabies free or have its head submitted for rabies testing if I can help it. Sorry.

sarbar

Post by sarbar » July 30th, 2008, 3:16 pm

What disturbs me is this comment left on the article:
"Geez lighten up. They were on a remote trail, most people (including myself) let their dogs run free when they are in the open country and there aren't many people around."

What I find scary about that attitude is that while leashed dogs are under control of the human - unleashed ones rarely are - what I mean by this is simple - while a dog maybe well trained, even the best of dogs are still dogs, they see something they want and they will go.

Twice in the past couple months I have had unleashed dogs nearly mow down my son. My son is deathly afraid of dogs jumping on him or getting close to him. A dog on a leash is a signal to him that the dog won't hurt him. How simple is that?? More than anything it is respect for the dog and for other people out there. Probably scarier is loose dogs in horse country - I have seen unleashed dogs running through horses legs - it was very lucky the dog wasn't killed or ended up hurting the horses/riders.

I love dogs, the story of this poochie is very sad indeed. I'd not wish that on any dog. Maybe a reminder to keep dogs in close and know where they are. And most of all, take them on trails that are safe for them. :cry:
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Gear & Beyond.....Outdoor Food Simplified: http://www.trailcooking.com/

rjtmmt

Post by rjtmmt » July 30th, 2008, 4:25 pm

I certainly have questions about our society if people start taking others drivers licence or following them to a car for fear of a rabies. I believe somebody has been watching too many "old Yeller" movies. It is one thing to make a big scene about something that is really a threat, but the last case of Rabies in dogs in Northwest Oregon was over 50 years ago. There seems to enough real threats out there without trying to play on the fears of people who do not know or appreciate the facts. Hiking inherently carries some risk, and on my weekly hikes in Oregon in the last 25 years the very least of my concerns has been dogs biting me. I also understand that a dog may get injured while hiking and it is quite easy to blame the owner, but in many cases people and I believe dogs would prefer to take that risk to lead a more fulfilling and meaningful life for both pet and humans. To suggest that dogs be kept away from cliffs because one older dog fell off, is the equivalent of saying that we should keep all hikers off Mt Hood because there are routinely fatalities. For many people, especially younger people or couples, their pets are their closest family unit. To suggest that they not take a pet for a hike for fear that someone else will disapprove is in the same catagory as the Little League parent who goes so over the top that they start a fight or some other disturbance. It would seem that the outdoor activities are there to be shared by all, and that getting along, rather than denigrating others would be more appropriate.

Jill

Post by Jill » July 30th, 2008, 4:58 pm

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 30th, 2008, 8:18 pm

rjtmmt wrote:I certainly have questions about our society if people start taking others drivers licence or following them to a car for fear of a rabies. I believe somebody has been watching too many "old Yeller" movies. It is one thing to make a big scene about something that is really a threat, but the last case of Rabies in dogs in Northwest Oregon was over 50 years ago. There seems to enough real threats out there without trying to play on the fears of people who do not know or appreciate the facts. Hiking inherently carries some risk, and on my weekly hikes in Oregon in the last 25 years the very least of my concerns has been dogs biting me. I also understand that a dog may get injured while hiking and it is quite easy to blame the owner, but in many cases people and I believe dogs would prefer to take that risk to lead a more fulfilling and meaningful life for both pet and humans. To suggest that dogs be kept away from cliffs because one older dog fell off, is the equivalent of saying that we should keep all hikers off Mt Hood because there are routinely fatalities. For many people, especially younger people or couples, their pets are their closest family unit. To suggest that they not take a pet for a hike for fear that someone else will disapprove is in the same catagory as the Little League parent who goes so over the top that they start a fight or some other disturbance. It would seem that the outdoor activities are there to be shared by all, and that getting along, rather than denigrating others would be more appropriate.
Staying on topic of the leashing dogs for their safety which is relevent to Casey. . .

"I also understand that a dog may get injured while hiking and it is quite easy to blame the owner"
I don't think anybody did. It was an accident and it happens to the best of us. It's just a reminder for all of us to treasure our loved ones canine or human and to take responsibility for each other.

"I believe dogs would prefer to take that risk to lead a more fulfilling and meaningful life for both pet and humans."
I agree they probably do, but then is is it okay to let a dog run free and unfenced so they can freely romp on the highway?

"To suggest that dogs be kept away from cliffs because one older dog fell off, is the equivalent of saying that we should keep all hikers off Mt Hood because there are routinely fatalities"
1. What is with the older dog comment? Is her loss less hurtfull to the family because she is older. Is an older dog less beloved or valued less? Wouldn't a young dog without experience be just as likely to make a poor choice? I remember a couple years ago when an dog had to be rescued from ZigZag canyon and it wasn't an older dog. The age is not relevent.

2. People choose to take those risks, our dogs are taken with us. We bear the burden of that responsibility for their care. They are not wolves who choose to accompany us by choice or have a choice as a pack. They would follow us to the ends of the earth, that does not mean they should.

"To suggest that they not take a pet for a hike for fear that someone else will disapprove is in the same catagory as the Little League parent who goes so over the top that they start a fight or some other disturbance."
Returning to the original intent of the thread just a reminder to take reasonable care. The dog suffered two broken legs, injured paw, bruised heart and lung, and severe head trauma. Also many volunteers risked their lives for Casey and to return her to her family. Hardly a comparison.

I hike with my dogs. Hopefully, I make mostly wise choices for them. Sometimes they are leashed and sometimes they run free. I also am aware I share the trail with many people and I respect them along my travels and leash my dogs when appropriate.
Last edited by Waffle Stomper on July 31st, 2008, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

zombie

Post by zombie » July 30th, 2008, 9:40 pm

fetch wrote:So I'll just say this; if you cannot keep your animal within your visual line of sight 100% of the time and it does not respond to verbal recall 100% of the time in 100% of situations, your animal has no business being off leash to begin with if there is even the teeniest, tiniest, chance you'll encounter another human being.
I'd very much have to agree. Well said

-aaron

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » July 31st, 2008, 12:52 am

How many dogs do you see on a leash while you're hiking? And how many die on hikes each year? Driving to the trailhead with a dog in the back of the Subaru or pick-up is just as dangerous, statistically speaking.

Nevertheless, an off-leash dog is a tick magnet. An off-leash dog scares away wildlife, and may, in some cases, exacerbate a bear encounter. I have hiked with friends who brought their dogs, and brought them off-leash. I've seen the looks on people's faces when those dogs burst from the undergrowth at full speed. An off-leash dog might fall off a cliff. A human might, as well - but I'm not responsible for that. I wouldn't take a small, excitable young child up Eagle creek and let him/her run around without supervision. The same goes for a dog.

I really am sorry - I feel for the dog that fell from the cliff, I feel for the owner - but if you care for your pet, there's no reason not to protect your dog, yourself, and others from harm. All the talk about rabies, climbers on Hood, about what the dog might like to do or be able to do, etc, is just argumentative crap. It obscures the real issue. The real issue is this - respect your dog, other hikers, and yourself. Keep your dog on a leash. Accidents suck. Don't be part of one.