Rattlesnakes - what to do if you're bitten?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
romann

Re: Rattlesnakes - what to do if you're bitten?

Post by romann » June 6th, 2010, 8:59 pm

Found a positive reference to Sawyer Extractor on nps.gov website for Bryce Canyon (dated 2007). However, they caution NOT to cut the wound in any case. http://www.nps.gov/brca/naturescience/gbrattlesnake.htm
Devices like the Sawyer extractor are safe mechanical ways to suck the venom from the wound.
I cannot think of the way one can harm oneself using it... But wondering if Sawyer Extractor is a specific suction device or it's a common name for all suction devices?

chameleon

Post by chameleon » June 6th, 2010, 10:09 pm

Yeah, it's a specific device. I bought one right after my encounter. I had heard good things about it too, but of course haven't (and hope I never do) had a chance to use it again. I'm surprised to hear a caution regarding it too - I can't imagine it could do any damage, but then its been a few years since I've researched the subject. Perhaps some issues have arisen.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 7th, 2010, 9:12 am

Zach, wow! -what an amazing adventure!! My hat's off to you - very impressive.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 7th, 2010, 10:59 am

The problem with the Sawyer Extractor according to my recent sources--Remote Medical International's instructors and my-son-in-law-the-ER-physician, as well as reputable online medical sources that I researched heavily on this topic two years ago--is that it is a suction device. With the tissue around the wound already basically dissolving due to the immediate effects of the venom, even mild suction will only cause further tissue damage. Suction weakens the tissue, making the effects of the venom at that spot much worse. It might make the difference in that tissue being able to heal afterwards (which, as Chameleon points out, takes a long, long time) or having to be surgically removed. There is no medical evidence (except on the Sawyer site, which is obviously suspect since they're trying to sell the things) that it removes enough venom to matter. That venom has been injected as much as 2 inches deep into the flesh through very narrow puncture wounds (similar to a hypodermic needle), and it moves really fast in the blood stream. The Sawyer Extractor has been a controversial item in wilderness medicine circles for some time, and the most recent medical advice is not to use it. Whether or not you want to use it on yourself is up to you. If you use it on someone else, there's a chance you might end up with legal issues as a result.

Snakebite is one area where the protocols keep changing (when I took my prior Wilderness First Aid course, it was still cut-and-suck), so if you're going into rattlesnake country, it's a good idea to become current on the latest medical advice before you go. Be sure you're using one or more of the reputable medical sites and that the information is dated!

One other thing about snakebite which is easy to ignore while when you're worrying about the venom aspect: you have two narrow, deep puncture wounds which are sure to get infected (even with irrigation it's impossible to get such wounds clean, and I'm told that snake saliva is nasty stuff). So even if your bite is one of the 50% in which there was no venom injected, you still need medical attention. Clean and irrigate the bite as best you can, bandage it and then hike the patient out for medical attention. One of our practice scenarios at last weekend's first aid course was a hiker who had scraped an ankle several days previously, hadn't bothered to clean or bandage it and now presented with septic shock symptoms due to a generalized infection.

obladi

Post by obladi » June 7th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Thanx for sharing the story Chameleon! Just hearing the story gives lots of food. It also leaves me with enough reasurrance to remain more calm than I would be otherwise if I am unfortunate enough to be bitten. I am also glad they normally rattle as I have a tendency to let random thoughts distract me from the trail. The little guy pictured below rattled as I was 2 steps from placing my foot on the trail next to this snake which would have been within easy striking distance. For all I know it was on the trail a few seconds earlier and got off as it saw me approach. Anyhow awesome story Chameleon.
Attachments
small_rattlesnake.jpg
Rattlesnake on Illinois river.
Luke

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

http://home.comcast.net/~l.danielson/nw ... iking.html