I want to rent your bear canister

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
mcnattyp

I want to rent your bear canister

Post by mcnattyp » July 23rd, 2008, 1:56 pm

I'm doing the Isolation and Ptarmigan Traverses up in the North Cascades next week and would like to leave a food cache for myself. I've spoken with the rangers and they're okay with it so long as it's in a bear canister. Renting from REI for 11 days is $48, buying online is $70. Can I rent or borrow a bear canister from someone on these forums? I'd be happy to leave a cash deposit large enough to cover the purchase of a new canister should I prove to be dishonest. You've nothing to lose! Charge me a rental fee! I'll make pickup and return easy on you.

Grannyhiker

Re: I want to rent your bear canister

Post by Grannyhiker » July 23rd, 2008, 2:17 pm

I've seen trip reports on nwhikers.net in which canisters were rented from the Park Service (from the info center at Marblemount, where you have to go for your permit anyway), so I checked the N. Cascades National Park website http://www.nps.gov/noca/naturescience/bear-safety.htm and found this:
Bear resistant canisters ... can be borrowed from the national park and will keep out rodents as well as bears. Contact the park for the address of vendors or to ask about the availability of canisters for loan.
You might want to call the rangers back before spending money.

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » July 23rd, 2008, 3:59 pm

Granny, he looks he did some research on this before posting. I've seen the park service kindly asks for a donation or flat out charge a daily fee - I think deposits are required also. Returning the bear bucket after doing a traverse like he's planning may not be easy either. I think the main reason he posted this here is logistics. One drawback of "renting" at the park is having to sort all that stuff out in the parking lot, trailhead or whereever. When its something as important as a food drop, its best to do that well in advance, especially if you're trying to fit 5 days of food into a bear bucket!

That's why we purchased one!

Mcnatty, you're new here but since you are a fellow hiker, I am considering helping you with your request....not sure how to hook up though. I'll check back here tomorrow. I would love to hear about this hike either way!!
PCT class of 2012

mcnattyp

Post by mcnattyp » July 24th, 2008, 9:03 am

Granny - The Marblemount station does not have canisters to rent me.

Scrambler - The logistics IS the big question. Two people, 4 days of food, a quick drop-off cache - this is a BIG trip and I want to have it all squared away before leaving town. I'm sending you a PM.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 24th, 2008, 3:02 pm

Too bad you're not going to the Olympics--it's only a $3 administrative fee for a canister there. Makes it worthwhile spending an hour in the parking lot stuffing the food into it!

sarbar

Post by sarbar » July 24th, 2008, 7:26 pm

I'd lend you mine but all I have is a tiny mini Bear Vault!

And I agree....I love the Olympics - $3, for as long as you are out. You have to love it. They have TONS of canisters though - part of their efforts to get everyone to go to them.
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Gear & Beyond.....Outdoor Food Simplified: http://www.trailcooking.com/

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 24th, 2008, 8:08 pm

mcnattyp, I hope you have a great trip! The Ptarmigan Traverse is something I've always wanted to do but don't have the skills (getting old doesn't help). I hope you'll post a trip report here afterwards so we can live it vicariously!

And I hope you find a bear canister!

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » July 25th, 2008, 7:41 am

Thanks everyone - mcnattyp and I have been in contact and he will be using our bear canister.
PCT class of 2012

mcnattyp

Post by mcnattyp » July 31st, 2008, 3:46 pm

I'm all packed up, heading out tomorrow morning. I should be home on the 10th and will post a trip report sometime thereafter. Thanks scrambler!