South coast hiking

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
brian1972

South coast hiking

Post by brian1972 » July 23rd, 2008, 9:24 am

Hi I live in Gold Beach on the south coast. I thought I would share a little bit about hiking down here. Samuel Boardman State Park has great trails and beaches one of my favorite beaches in the park is known as Secret Beach. Secret Beach is reached by a 10 minute walk there is a waterfall that falls on to the beach.
Another one of my favorite local hikes is located about 8 miles east of Brookings it is called the Redwood Nature Trail. The trail winds through the most northly redwood grove in the world. There is also a great park for seeing redwoods about 15 miles south of the Oregon/Cali. border. It is called Jedidiah Smith State Park and has miles of great trails in the redwoods.
About 20 miles north of Gold Beach is Humbug Mt. which is the highest mountain located directly on the Oregon Coast.
Up the Rogue River there are many great trails as well. You can see the largest Myrtlewood tree in the world 10 miles east of Gold Beach.
I will post some pics when I get back to Gold Beach I am currently visiting family in Washington.

Jane

Re: South coast hiking

Post by Jane » July 24th, 2008, 8:48 am

Thanks Brian, we look forward to your pics and reports of the southern beauty of our state!

gildenj

Post by gildenj » July 24th, 2008, 8:50 am

We once did a 3-day hike from Bandon to Port Orford, on the beach almost the entire way. It was a great hike, though crossing some of the rivers was a little scary. I don't think too many people know about it...

Jennifer

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » July 24th, 2008, 2:22 pm

Thanks Brian.

I'll be in Jed Smith to Prairie Creek redwoods, etc., near August 11 to 14. Will be staying up at Harris Beach State Park near your neck of the woods and the Curly Redwood lodge in Crescent City. See photos via album in my post signature link.

Going to get more video and images of those Titan groves, and a few other spots.

Thanks for the tip about that Secret Beach. I'd like to see that: if not this time, then the next. Hope to go that way in winter too. Is that beach on a map online? Thanks.

PS - one sight I really like in Gold Beach is that old delapidated troller partially submerged near the jet boat tour place.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 24th, 2008, 2:59 pm

Is this "Secret Beach" along the Whalehead Cove-Cape Ferrelo section of the Coast Trail? I've been wanting to do this trail for some time.

kelkev

Post by kelkev » July 24th, 2008, 3:25 pm

I love hiking around the Cape Blanco area - - nice loops from the Sixes River boat ramp near the Hughes House, and south from the campground or headland just east of the lighthouse. Beautiful rugged (but windy) area to explore. Also love the short hike loop at Port Orford Heads State Park, one of the BEST rugged ocean vistas anywhere - lots of sea stacks, rocks, rugged coastline, and an unimpeded view from Cape Blanco to Humbug Mountain. We just returned from a week on the south coast.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

brian1972

Post by brian1972 » July 25th, 2008, 5:51 am

Secret Beach is located between milepost 344 and 345. There is a sign on Highway 101 that says "Miners Creek" if you see that you know you are in the right area. It isn't mark but you have to watch for a little trail head where you can pull in behind the guard rail.

A botantist recently discovered three Australia Tree Ferns on Miners Creek near the trail to Secret Beach. I went down and found them. They were each about 6-8 feet tall. The article in the paper said that they are a sub-tropical species and its amazing they are growing there. Scientists don't know how they got there. The best guess is that the spores floated on the wind from a green house in Brookings. They believe that they will die as soon as the area gets a good frost.

The troller in Gold Beach is called the Mary D. Hume my kids love the Mary D. and want to drive by it all the time.

brian1972

Post by brian1972 » July 25th, 2008, 6:07 am

Grannyhiker wrote:Is this "Secret Beach" along the Whalehead Cove-Cape Ferrelo section of the Coast Trail? I've been wanting to do this trail for some time.
Secret Beach is a couple miles north of Whaleshead.