Safe to jump into punchbowl falls.....

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Excursionista

Re: Safe to jump into punchbowl falls.....

Post by Excursionista » July 16th, 2008, 8:47 am

So, uh, Punchbowl is one of those hikes I recommend to and/or take non-hikers on. You know, the whole "Let me show you the real beauty of Oregon - and its right in your/our backyard" thing.

I've seen kayakers there, but never cliff jumpers. Imagine if you took visitors there - here's a beautiful trail, wonderful stream, amazing canyon, astounding waterfalls... and rare native Oregonians doing crazy stunts from 90ft cliffs!

I kinda want to do it. Probably won't, but still...

salty222

Post by salty222 » July 16th, 2008, 1:08 pm

Excursionista wrote:So, uh, Punchbowl is one of those hikes I recommend to and/or take non-hikers on. You know, the whole "Let me show you the real beauty of Oregon - and its right in your/our backyard" thing.

I've seen kayakers there, but never cliff jumpers. Imagine if you took visitors there - here's a beautiful trail, wonderful stream, amazing canyon, astounding waterfalls... and rare native Oregonians doing crazy stunts from 90ft cliffs!
Good point. That would be awesome. I'm actually taking some friends of mine from our youth group, and it's their first hike ever. hehe.....

I'll let ya know how it is.

Funny thing, is some people have said it's only 35-40'. Upon seeing the videos, I'm thinking it's 60-80'.
Which is most def un-dive-able, but still good to jump from for an experienced jumper only.

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » July 16th, 2008, 1:23 pm

The waterfall is about 40 feet. The surrounding cliffs that people jump from are 80+.

In either event, it's too dangerous for me. Even a small injury like a broken bone could mean a rescue team.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 17th, 2008, 4:19 pm

There was a time when I used to do this sort of thing, so I can't blame the young and adventurous among us for thinking about it! But it's also true that the Cascade Locks Fire & Rescue spends more than their fair share of time fishing the young and adventurous out of Eagle Creek, and carrying them back to the waiting ambulance.

Here's a scene that I watched unfold two years ago, with a jumper who landed on his side and broke his back on the water - something the jumpers often fail to factor in when focused on what's under the water. It took a crew of 10 rescue volunteers to an hour to load this guy onto the gurney, and prep him for an even longer ride down the Eagle Creek Trail. Kudos to these guys for taking care of the adventurers!

BTW, as Steve points out, the falls is about 40 feet, but the jumping spot (left and above the falls, near the edge of this photo) is at least 80 feet above water. So a bad landing is potentially quite dangerous from this height.

-Tom

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 17th, 2008, 9:21 pm

Thanks, Splintercat! I know that the Forest Service and the local rescue people would like to stop anyone from jumping into Punchbowl if they could manage it. They're getting quite tired of these frequent rescues, which are costing the local taxpayers a lot of $$$. This is one case where I strongly believe that the "rescuees" should be charged for every penny!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 18th, 2008, 12:31 pm

You know, Granny - I had this GREAT idea to help defray their costs, and curb the daredevil factor at Punchbowl: implement a $40 daily jumping fee from Memorial Day through Labor Day, and for the fee, you get a bracelet that will need to be on your wrist when you come ashore downstream - or you could be handed a $1,000 ticket for violating the rules.

The bracelet would be one of those plastic hospital bracelets that can't be removed without cutting it, therefore preventing sharing among jumpers. Enforcement would be simple: the proceeds would pay for periodic spot patrolling at the lower punchbowl viewpoint just often enough for the jumpers to be wary. Plus, it would be kinda cool to be the law, hiding behind the cliff, and stepping out to flash your badge at jumpers walking up on the beach... "Permit, please..."

(...posted somewhat tongue-in-cheek...)

Tom