Recommendation needed - campgrounds not buried under snow

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
justpeachy

Recommendation needed - campgrounds not buried under snow

Post by justpeachy » July 14th, 2008, 8:46 pm

We're going camping over the July 25-27 weekend. We haven't picked out a campground yet, and in looking at my maps, campground books, and Forest Service web sites, I'm about to throw up my hands in frustration. There is still so much snow everywhere!

We're looking for something within a two-hour drive of Portland. A campground within easy reach of several hiking trails would be nice. Since we already spend so much time in the Oregon Cascades, I was thinking that somewhere up around Mt. St. Helens or Mt. Adams would be a nice change. I'd like to camp next to a lake, but I think we'd have to deal with mosquitoes, from what I'm reading. Can anyone recommend some good spots that have a remote chance of NOT being buried under snow?

I hope we NEVER EVER EVER have a winter like that again. EVER.

cfm

Re: Recommendation needed - campgrounds not buried under snow

Post by cfm » July 14th, 2008, 9:40 pm

Consider driving south to Eugene and heading up the McKenzie or Willamette. The multitude of well maintained Oakridge trails are awesome right now. I was up there last weekend and the extra time driving gave me three days of absolute solitude. I went on five hikes and never saw another single soul besides the people who signed up for my designated guided tour with the NPSO annual meeting. It was 3+ hours of driving down to Pat Saddle/Olallie Trail on Friday, then just under 3 home from Oakridge on Sunday morning. I didn't stay at any campgrounds, just car camped off dead ends in the NF in the middle fo nowhere.

I've been meanign to post a TR, but here is a great trip right up your ( and Greg's) alley: Grasshopper Meadows, no bugs, only butterflys,the lupine meadows are awesome and will make you feel like you are Julie Andrews. Be sure to inpect the sunny southern slope edges for some delightful rock gardens. On a perfect July Saturday, there was no-one else on the trail:

cfm as julie Andrews:

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 15th, 2008, 6:41 am

i guess it depends on what kind of campground you're looking for.

We just did Swift Forest Campground on the east end of Swift Reservoir. The campground is right on the lake and we were able to get a site even through we didn't show up until 9:00 on Friday night. I mean it is what it is - a campground full of families with SUVs and motorboats - everyone is friendly enough but it's not like backbacking in the Enchantments!- It is close to a bunch of stuff - including Mount Mitchell, Siouxon Peak, Ape Cave, Trail of Two Forests, June lake and that drive up to the Windy Ridge viewpoint which connects you to the maze of trails around Mt St Helens

The drive from the I5 bridge will be about an hour and a half.

One consideration is the relative proximity of forest fires south of Adams - so you'd definitely have to call ahead for conditions. The campgrounds on all three lakes in the chain are run by PacifiCorp. Here's the site with the info:
http://www.pacificorp.com/Navigation/Na ... n1126.html

As you'll see there are a few campgrounds on those lakes - but again don't go there for remoteness!

drm

Post by drm » July 15th, 2008, 7:34 am

The Wind River drainage would be great. Panther Creek campground is right next to the PCT and Trapper Creek Wilderness is a few miles away. Not on a lake, but it is lush and on a nice creek - Panther Creek. Panther Creek Falls is about 4 miles north. Paradise Creek CG is a few miles farther up. Paved roads to both. You can reserve sites at both campgrounds ahead of time. See this website and scroll down. These are about one hour's drive from Portland. Snow is long gone from these CGs.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » July 15th, 2008, 8:19 am

There's always the Pioneer-Indian Trail in the Coast Range that starts at Hebo Lake Campground and is a 16 mile (1500' elevation change)round-trip to North and South Lakes at the other end of the hike. You get views from the top of Mt Hebo , a good climb, some meadows and three lakes. I've only been halfway so I've never actually seen North or South Lake yet.. Hebo Lake is more or less halfway between Lincoln City and Tillamook.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 15th, 2008, 1:48 pm

cfm wrote:Consider driving south to Eugene and heading up the McKenzie or Willamette. The multitude of well maintained Oakridge trails are awesome right now. I was up there last weekend and the extra time driving gave me three days of absolute solitude. I went on five hikes and never saw another single soul besides the people who signed up for my designated guided tour with the NPSO annual meeting. It was 3+ hours of driving down to Pat Saddle/Olallie Trail on Friday, then just under 3 home from Oakridge on Sunday morning. I didn't stay at any campgrounds, just car camped off dead ends in the NF in the middle fo nowhere.
I was just going to suggest the Oakridge area. Excellent excellent hiking country! I really, really love the Middle Fork Willamette area. Anyone know if Indigo Lake and Timanogas Lake are melted out yet?
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

AnnieEm

Post by AnnieEm » July 23rd, 2008, 11:30 am

I may be a little late, but I agree. Oakridge is beautiful, easy to get to, and uncrowded. I'd recommend Salmon Creek Falls Campground about 10 minutes from Oakridge. (Take water or a filter.) We stayed at Blue Pool Campground because we didn't have our water filter. Blue Pool was nice but we could hear the road and a TRAIN! We were there about a month ago and really enjoyed ourselves. If you have a dog, a lot of the low elevation hikes have poison oak. We drove way into the sticks to hike along the middle fork of the willamette out of the poison oak. If you don't have a dog, there's a nice hike along Salmon Creek...just wear pants to stay out to the poison oak. http://www.hoodoo.com is a great resource for camping up the Mackenzie and around Oakridge.
Attachments
mfork.jpg
The middle fork
creek.jpg
Pretty creek on our hike

pdxJaxon

Post by pdxJaxon » July 25th, 2008, 6:30 am

Have you picked your site yet?

I just went up to Rock Lakes Basin above Estacada (past three lynx) and it was great.

Cheers

Greg Jackson
Tigard, OR
http://www.JaxonsGottaGun.com