Help Settle an Argument: Food Storage

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Aimless

Re: Help Settle an Argument: Food Storage

Post by Aimless » July 13th, 2008, 9:42 am

fishy, as you no doubt have discovered, there is no "settled" answer to this argument. ;)

Personally, I think that no matter what you do in the Columbia Gorge, you won't be troubled by a food-seeking bear. Nor would you wind up with a ravening raccoon in your tent. They just aren't local hazards in the gorge.

Still, I don't store food in my tent, regardless of the immediate hazard (or lack of it), for one simple reason: I'm going to use that tent again and the next place where I use it might present a different level of hazard. In that case, I don't want any lingering food odors attached to my tent. I don't want to be wondering if there are any odors. I don't want to give it a second thought, because I prefer to KNOW there are no food odors associated with my tent.

It works for me.

BCJ

Post by BCJ » July 13th, 2008, 1:38 pm

The best thing to do is whatever you're comfortable with. If keeping food in your tent is going to make you nervous about critters then you should definitely hang it because it will give you a better night of sleep.

fishy

Post by fishy » July 13th, 2008, 2:40 pm

Aimless wrote:fishy, as you no doubt have discovered, there is no "settled" answer to this argument. ;)
I figured as much... ;)

I was just curious to hear others perspectives on the subject.

WildernessGirl

Post by WildernessGirl » July 15th, 2008, 9:18 am

I can certainly understand a few people's reasoning not to hang the food, after all, its Eagle Creek and your biggest fears should come from the human animals. BUT, keep in mind it wasn't that long ago when two posters saw a bear in the ridge above Eagle Creek and just off the Angel's Rest trail. I would and always hang my food. Its simple and a good habit, not to mention everything already said about "leave no trace" principles.

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » July 15th, 2008, 10:53 am

Hang your husband, eat the food! :P

I don't hang food, I just keep it in the tent unless its a well known problem bear area. The gorge is not. Never had a problem keeping it in the tent but sometimes the rodents will try to get it when its hanging. I take a bear canister in the Oly's or the Sierra - just to keep the rangers at bay.
PCT class of 2012

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 15th, 2008, 11:00 am

Nearly all popular "established" campsites have habituated rodents and birds. I use an Ursack and tie it on a tree as directed (there's a separate thread in this section on Ursacks). I've seen too many instances of rodents chewing holes in tents or in packs when food was inside. (Also, I don't recommend pitching your tent over a mouse hole....)

sarbar

Post by sarbar » July 15th, 2008, 11:05 am

I guess I am a bit shocked by many of the answers :(

Look, I know that dealing with hanging food or carrying a resistant container blows - but it isn't about us. It is about keeping food from the animals! It isn't healthy for them and only trains them to come back. The mothers teach their children to go where it is easy to get fed.

A question for those who sleep with food? Have you encountered a fed bear? They are not nice!! In Rainier a bear that is fed and won't leave gets usually 3 tries to move it. If it comes back then it is most likely a dead bear.

But even then, there is not much more annoying than campsites that fill up with camp robbers as soon as humans come by. Yick.

Ok, the food safety preacher will shut up and get off her soapbox.
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Gear & Beyond.....Outdoor Food Simplified: http://www.trailcooking.com/

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » July 15th, 2008, 11:21 am

Sarbar, I have never lost food while it was in my tent! Only when hung or out in the open does it become a problem. I have even slept with food in my tent on the both my Wonderland trips. Ever talk to a PCT through hiker about food storage?

As far as fed bears, or habituated bears, I have had numerous encounters in the Sierra back country where they move the problem valley bears - even with food in the bear bucket!! They are smart - and bold!!! One took off with my empty pack!! :o
PCT class of 2012

sarbar

Post by sarbar » July 15th, 2008, 11:39 am

scrambler2 wrote:Sarbar, I have never lost food while it was in my tent! Only when hung or out in the open does it become a problem. I have even slept with food in my tent on the both my Wonderland trips. Ever talk to a PCT through hiker about food storage?
*I would consider myself a life PCT section hiker and have done the majority of the Wonderland. I have encountered a fed bear in Rainier, a few feet off the WT - hence part of the story.*

My point is, why take the risk? Why? On the Wonderland you have perfectly fine functioning bear poles to use. I have spent many nights at Rainier and always use the poles (unless I am going cross country, then I take an Ursack). The poles work great.

I don't buy the reasoning that food storage is an issue once it is out of the tent. Rather, it is the count of how many times sloppy campers have spent the night in an area - which is how bears and other critters get habiuated.

Maybe it is Oregon, who knows. Up here, I wouldn't spend the night in a lake basin in Alpine Lakes Wilderness without my food protected! I have no desire to hear snuffling at 2 am near my head!
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Gear & Beyond.....Outdoor Food Simplified: http://www.trailcooking.com/

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » July 15th, 2008, 3:33 pm

Well Sarbar, you must have missed it when I asked if you ever spoke to a PCT thru hiker (a thru hiker is one that completes the trip from Mexico to Canada in one season). You'll be alarmed at thier non-existent food storage procedures. Because of prowling bears, these guys literally wear thier food when in camp, sleep with it, and defend it at all cost. These bears will charge your camp when you turn your back!
I have hiked some of the PCT in the Sierras, WA and Oregon so I am a PCT section hiker also!! :o
As far as the Wonderland goes, I have completed the trail twice (which means starting at one point and continuing all the way around the mtn on foot back to the original starting point). I did not always stay in the designated camps. Ummm yes, I did use the poles in established camps but when I hung my food, a rodent tried to chew through the bag. When I stayed off the trail - with the x-country permit - I slept with my food. Again, my food has never been taken by wildlife unless it was hung or outside of the tent - including CA & WA. I don't totally disagree with your opinion, just sometimes the bear bucket or hanging of food is overkill.

Thanks for caring so much about the wildlife.
PCT class of 2012