Bears in Three Sisters Wilderness

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
yosemite hiker

Bears in Three Sisters Wilderness

Post by yosemite hiker » July 10th, 2008, 7:41 am

I have used a bear canister for years, (a must have in Yosemite, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon) but I'm thinking of shedding it for a trip around Three Sisters to save two plus lbs. Has anyone ever had a problem with bears there?

BCJ

Re: Bears in Three Sisters Wilderness

Post by BCJ » July 10th, 2008, 7:45 am

I would never carry a bear cannister in the Three Sisters Wilderness. I think the only reason would be if you were worried about the little critters getting to your stuff. There are bears there, but seeing one in that area is quite rare.

Paul

Post by Paul » July 10th, 2008, 8:14 am

I agree with BCJ. I've seen a bear there once, but don;t carry a bear canister. I do carry an UrSack, but on;y because I don't like hanging my food. Just practice good food preparing and storage and you'll have no problems. :)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

Aimless

Post by Aimless » July 10th, 2008, 8:23 am

I agree. Bears are not an issue at all in Three Sisters wilderness. It's the small critters who will try to rob you blind.
Last edited by Aimless on July 10th, 2008, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElphabaNorthWest

Post by ElphabaNorthWest » July 10th, 2008, 10:14 am

A more general question. I've never seen a bear since moving to Oregon, but are there areas which have significant bear activity. Some one told me that they wouldn't go to Indian Heaven in September because they are worried about bears. Is this a real concern?

Paul

Post by Paul » July 10th, 2008, 10:55 am

The only place I had experience with lots of bear activity was Brushy Bar along the Rouge River. I guess they can be quite a nuisance there.

I wouldn't worry about Indian Heaven in September. :)
http://www.pbase.com/pcoplin/indian_heaven
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

BCJ

Post by BCJ » July 10th, 2008, 11:07 am

I've seen quite a few bears in Oregon (Gorge, Hood, Crater Lake where my wife hit one with the car, Rogue, Coast, etc.), but I can't think of any place in the state besides the Rogue where they would play into my planning of a trip.

I think the only place in the NW that I would carry a bear cannister would be in the Olympics and I didn't carry one last time I was there. We saw 8 bears in less than 24 hours, but they were pretty shy for the most part.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 10th, 2008, 11:14 am

I think it's also worth noting the difference between bears and BEARS. We got no Grizzlies in Oregon and SW Washington. Not sure if that plays into your decision at all?

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » July 10th, 2008, 12:33 pm

No Yose Hiker - you won't need one. By the way, just got our permit for Yosemite in September. I remember talking with you about the Sierra High Route after you posted some pictures. We are going back to do Thousand Island Lake to T Meadows section - in reverse. Can't wait to visit Bench Canyon again! Funny we never saw a bear on that trip and we had 2 bear buckets!

Jeff - black bears are known to raid plenty of food, destroy auto's, rip tents, etc. where this guys usually hikes. He is not concered about grizzlies!! :lol:
PCT class of 2012

backcountryhunter

Post by backcountryhunter » July 10th, 2008, 2:55 pm

I would worry more about sasquatch in the three sisters. I hear they are quite fond of trail mix and twinkies!!