Timberline Trail Backpacking Itinerary and Questions

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
retired jerry

Re: Timberline Trail Backpacking Itinerary and Questions

Post by retired jerry » November 21st, 2023, 7:53 am

I have noticed more forest fire smoke the last few years and had to choose a plan B. Equally good as Mt Hood.

Three Sisters is far enough south so it may be clear when Mt Hood is smoky

Goat Rocks or Mt Adams are north

Something in Olympic Peninsula also good.

Trinity Alps in Northern California is great but a long way away.

You need a car for all of those, no reasonable public transportation, although I do see busses in Olympic Peninsula but there would be transfers. Or I think there's something going over Santiam Pass but I don't think it normally stops there.

petroben

Post by petroben » November 21st, 2023, 9:06 am

Hey,

Totally get the need for a plan B with the increasing forest fire smoke. Three Sisters sounds like a solid choice, being south enough for clearer skies. Goat Rocks and Mt Adams to the north are great alternatives too. Olympic Peninsula has its charm, and the Trinity Alps, although a trek, are worth it. Public transport's a bit tricky, but where there's a will, there's a way.

Safe travels,
[petroben]

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 21st, 2023, 9:24 am

are you a bot petroben?

drm

Post by drm » November 21st, 2023, 10:10 am

We had some days of cold wet conditions in late August this year - in the mountains. It's always frustrating for me, because these weather conditions usually just means a pleasant mid 70s day down low, which everybody is craving in August. But 70s in Portland means 40s or 50s for alpine hiking, and probably raining 40s and 50s, with no views. So I always work with a Plan B. But some people find ways of enjoying such conditions anyway. More power to them if they are equipped for it. By late August even a brief rain will not be enough to make the water crossings a big problem.

djsatterfield

Post by djsatterfield » November 21st, 2023, 11:12 am

As mentioned, I am going to do everything in my power to stick with Plan A. Not a fan of backpacking in rain, but have done it so won't let it deter me. As far as the smoke, that will be a "closer to trip time" decision. Although it was pretty smoky when we last visited, I don't know that it would deter me. Obviously, we all would love mid-70s, no bugs, and sunny days, but that isn't always realistic.
I have looked into Three Sisters loop, as a backup. Looks like you have to deal with securing permits which I was trying to avoid. Ready for a break from recreation.gov.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 21st, 2023, 1:13 pm

djsatterfield wrote:
November 21st, 2023, 11:12 am
I have looked into Three Sisters loop, as a backup. Looks like you have to deal with securing permits which I was trying to avoid. Ready for a break from recreation.gov.
You should definitely consider Goat Rocks Wilderness as a potential plan B; it doesn't have any permit requirements. The main Goat Lake/Snowgrass Flat loop gets crowded in August, but there are other trails up there that don't get as much traffic. (Unfortunately there's no classic multi-day loop like at Hood or Three Sisters.)

djsatterfield

Post by djsatterfield » November 21st, 2023, 7:15 pm

I was actually just looking at the Goat Rocks area this afternoon. I may get their map and see what type of loop or lollipop I can put together as a Plan B.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 21st, 2023, 7:48 pm

djsatterfield wrote:
November 21st, 2023, 7:15 pm
I was actually just looking at the Goat Rocks area this afternoon. I may get their map and see what type of loop or lollipop I can put together as a Plan B.
You don't need to "get their map"; there are plenty of online resources for exploring trails, and the ones that are based on OpenStreetMap data (i.e., most of them) are more accurate than the Forest Service's maps. Here's just one example: https://graphhopper.com/maps/?point=46. ... F+Outdoors

djsatterfield

Post by djsatterfield » November 22nd, 2023, 5:52 am

Ahhhhhh, learned something new today, appreciate that link and info. I have found other online maps for various areas I have backpacked, but hadn't seen this one.
I have to admit, I am older and a paper guy but I am trying to get used to the electronic versions.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 22nd, 2023, 6:59 am

Park at Berry Patch trailhead. Go up Goat Ridge trail. Cross on Lily Basin trail. Down Snowgrass trail. Maybe 12 miles.

Then, extend that on the PCT - go up to Old Snowy, down to Cispus Pass, or as far as you want. That would let you see most of the Goat Rocks.

Check the field guide - click on "field guide", then "southwest washington"...