IP Road requires Discover Pass?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
vince5555

IP Road requires Discover Pass?

Post by vince5555 » October 11th, 2023, 2:59 pm

I hiked IP road on Yale Lake in Washington a couple of weeks ago and received a $99 citation stating that no Discover Pass was displayed. From what I understood, this hike is on Pacific Corp property and the Oregon Hikers web site indicates that there are no fees required. Does anyone have clarification about this?

adamschneider

Re: IP Road requires Discover Pass?

Post by adamschneider » October 11th, 2023, 3:16 pm

Unfortunately, it looks like the south shore of Yale Lake is indeed state-owned land. The BLM maps are usually pretty accurate when it comes to ownership:
Screenshot_20231011-161153-20231011161237.jpg

Both the OH Field Guide and WTA should update their pages.

vince5555

Post by vince5555 » October 12th, 2023, 4:19 am

Actually, when looking at Clark County Maps Online, it appears that there is a small strip of land owned by Pacificorp along the river. IP-100 (IP road) starts on Pacificorp property, goes through WA state land, then back onto Pacificorp property. The parking appears to be on Pacificorp property.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 12th, 2023, 4:54 am

is there any contact info on your ticket where you explain this?

what if you just ignore it, will they take any legal action?

vince5555

Post by vince5555 » October 12th, 2023, 9:18 am

Seems like they treat it like a typical parking ticket. I'm sure there's penalties since they have the license plate number. I will be contesting it on Dec 13.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 12th, 2023, 9:31 am

Hmm, looks like you might have a case, especially if you parked in the northern part of the curve.
IP Road trailhead.jpg

(Also, I assume there were no "Discover Pass Required" signs? The law doesn't require them to post signs, but it's pretty lame for them to not have them and then give people tickets.)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 12th, 2023, 11:10 am

it would be lame to have to spend a bunch of time contesting it, vs just sending an email to someone that would acknowledge your facts

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » October 13th, 2023, 6:14 am

retired jerry wrote:
October 12th, 2023, 4:54 am
what if you just ignore it, will they take any legal action?
I say no. I've literally never paid a parking ticket in my life. I have several Wa parking tickets from hiking. Surprisingly, the only Wa ticket that made "noise" in my life was one I got about 15 years ago at Beacon Rock. Only last year I received my first "pay up" letter for that ticket, which I also ignored. Of course, YMMV.

Collection costs money. They will typically sell your fine as a debt to a collection company sooner than demanding it multiple times. So then it's even easier to ignore it. Enforcement costs even more so enforcement will never be widespread. I'll bet you could park there again several times in the future and never get a ticket again.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 13th, 2023, 7:39 am

If they could put a warrant on you that came up if the police ever stopped you that would be bad. Or if they wouldn't renew your license. But I don't think that would happen.

Yeah, just ignore it is probably good.

I have heard that beacon rock is especially bad. There must be one LEO that takes this all seriously?

I wonder what would happen if you didn't get one of those permits for the three sisters? When I was last there, two people checked it. There's a court case where they tried to restrict an entire river but the court said they can only restrict the part that's busy.
It seems that would apply to the three sisters permits .

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 13th, 2023, 7:50 am

They should post signs at a trailhead. Even though the pass is required anywhere on DNR territory, it's not clear this is DNR territory. Of course, someone could just remove the signs. In the past, it was understood to be a Pacific Corp road/ trail. Maybe it's now shifted to DNR jurisdiction? I'll update the Field Guide regardless.