IP Road requires Discover Pass?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
bobcat

Re: IP Road requires Discover Pass?

Post by bobcat » October 13th, 2023, 8:16 am

Also, it's possible the ticket was issued by an over zealous employee. I think you have a very good case based on the unclear jurisdiction here. (Well, I thought it was clear - PacifiCorp! Are Discover Passes also required at the reservoir parking areas, which are also operated by PacifiCorp?)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 14th, 2023, 2:37 pm

The whole point of the Discover Pass scheme is to extract money from you. You can't fight it, no matter what the circumstances are. I've tried twice. I've paid because I wonder if an outstanding fine would block vehicle registration...but I live in OR, so maybe moot.

Always remember, government hates you, and you exist to serve them.

jvangeld

Post by jvangeld » October 16th, 2023, 2:16 pm

retired jerry wrote:
October 13th, 2023, 7:39 am
I have heard that beacon rock is especially bad. There must be one LEO that takes this all seriously?
The Park Ranger office is directly across the road from Beacon Rock. If they don't make a point of their permits system there, no one will take it seriously anywhere else.
Jeremy VanGelder - Friends of Road 4109

vince5555

Post by vince5555 » December 13th, 2023, 9:39 am

Success. The citation was dismissed in court.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 14th, 2023, 8:52 am

Great, but sorry you had to go to court at all. Is there anything else we should know, i.e. is that indeed NOT a Discover Pass location?

vince5555

Post by vince5555 » December 25th, 2023, 11:44 am

It was quick. The judge sited lack of signs for Discover pass in my documentation as reason for dismissal. He didn't go into any detail on the parking area being on Pacificorp property which I was ready to argue for. I believe the person who wrote the citation had no clue of the property lines.

querulous

Post by querulous » April 17th, 2024, 4:59 pm

I have parked on WA DNR land, on DNR roads many times to walk in the woods in the Siouxon block (both the Lewis River side and the Siouxon creek side) without displaying a Discover pass. I always assumed that the Discover pass was (like the Federal pass) necessary only for parking at designated trailheads. Not so? It would be good to get clarification.

Now that I think about it, I *have* seen "Discover pass required" signs along the Washougal at DNR-owned sections near
waterfalls, not strictly speaking trailheads. But not the farther-up Washougal, which is solidly state ownership.

For the record, I do usually *have* a Discover pass, but the motive has always been trailhead parking, e.g. Beacon Rock state park trailheads or the WADNR Black Hole Falls trailhead.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that one would get ticketed at Beacon Rock trailheads. Those are hugely busy trailheads, and they have staff on the ground there, whose main function seems to be to keep the parking scrum from getting out of hand, and dealing with the campground. It's a state park, that's just to be expected. If they don't enforce the requirement there, where would they?

In the Gorge on the WA side the public land ownership picture is exceedingly complex. I am sure I have been on walks where I have moved between federal and state ownership three or four times. That's true also of roads there as well. The Kueffler road, for example. Starting at the Beacon Rock turnoff, it is on state park land for maybe a mile, then a quarter-mile of federal, then about a half-mile of private (posted with scary nimby keep-out signs), then federal for the next 2+ miles to the CRGNSA boundary, except for a quarter-mile bit over WA DNR land, and what I think of as the "left fork", which is on WA DNR land for maybe a couple of miles, past the CRGNSA boundary. I've never paid any attention to which flavor of public land I was parking on in those parts.

The question of enforcement, well it's highly likely that almost all the enforcement energy is directed at busy trailheads, it's just the most efficient strategy. But it would still be good to know what the rules are.