PSA: Sunrise Peak Trailhead inaccessible

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Webfoot

Re: PSA: Sunrise Peak Trailhead inaccessible

Post by Webfoot » October 3rd, 2023, 9:32 pm

drm wrote:
October 2nd, 2023, 6:42 pm
Did you call and complain?
No, but I meant to sometime this week. I see you already have! Which station did you call?

I probably will call anyway. I cannot be too upset if they are willing to actually make updates. Nevertheless it is a systematic failure that there is not a more robust way these things are handled, and at least it should be known the trouble it causes.

I realize the value of having fallback plans but in this case it was just too far to do much, as I was already pushing my limits where even the drive becomes tiring. I did make a few detours on the way home but it was the right call to try again the next day.

drm

Post by drm » October 4th, 2023, 7:24 am

Everything north of the 2329 road on the north side of Mt Adams is under the jurisdiction of the Cowlitz Ranger station in Randle. Yes, it would still be good to call to emphasize the point.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 5th, 2023, 2:03 pm

I called and politely voiced my complaint. Hopefully it gets along the chain to someone that can do something about it, and they actually do.

They were apologetic and explained it as you said, a delayed logging operation that was started/resumed without notification until the following Monday, so had I called on Friday I would still not have known about the closure.