Question

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
djsatterfield

Question

Post by djsatterfield » September 5th, 2023, 10:33 am

Planning to do the Timberline Trail next August. Would this be the section/area of the forum to post any general questions I may have? or should I post somewhere else? Just trying to follow protocol.
Thanks.

retired jerry

Re: Question

Post by retired jerry » September 5th, 2023, 11:16 am

this is the perfect place to ask questions about the Timberline Trail

Aimless

Post by Aimless » September 5th, 2023, 11:45 am

There is a "Trail Q & A" forum designated for questions about specific trails, current conditions, and trip ideas, but nobody's going to complain if you ask your questions in this "General Hiking Topics" forum. :)

djsatterfield

Post by djsatterfield » September 5th, 2023, 12:01 pm

Thank you both, I appreciate it.

Right now, just getting the logistics worked out, ie: flights, rental car, etc.

One question that came to mind, after backpacking in the Tetons, is about campsites. Are the "established" sites along the Timberline visible? or do you need to bushwhack and search? or ? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

pinecone

Post by pinecone » September 5th, 2023, 12:44 pm

Hope this isn't too much self promotion, but the best reference for locating campsites (established, limited resource impacting, often with firerings and multiple pads is the Elevation Changes Cartographic Timberline Trail Map and Backpacking guide. There are many long established sites along the trail, not requiring bushwacking but often tucked just off the trail that are easy to walk by or miss the faint spur leading to the sites. I field collected campsite locations (and hydrography, trails, and all else) across the span of many day trips, 9 full loops and several years to present the vast array of camping opportunities that exist along the trail outside of the well known and increasingly highly impacted cluster of camps at the standard promoted camping areas. I also provide more information and trail updates, and in the spring as snow melts back, weekly satellite imagery on the site https://elevationchanges.com/timberlinetrail/, and if you have questions about certain sites, I've got photos of most all of the ones I chose to include and can offer advice or recommendations. More information about the map, as well as lots of other fun Timberline Trail Photos and is available on the site there.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 5th, 2023, 1:05 pm

I added that (elevationchanges.com) to the field guide. I think your page is more complete and up to date than the field guide.

djsatterfield

Post by djsatterfield » September 6th, 2023, 6:48 am

Thank you both for the information. I had seen your Elevation Changes Cartographic Timberline Trail Map and Backpacking guide while I was doing some research. Sounds like what I may be looking for. I am fairly experienced in site finding but since I will be more than likely doing this trip solo, I didn't want to have to be concerned with finding a site, especially if it got late in the day.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 6th, 2023, 7:25 am

There are many established campsites off short side trails. It's pretty obvious.

And there are many unestablished campsites

The field guide has useful information

djsatterfield

Post by djsatterfield » September 6th, 2023, 8:44 am

Thank you Jerry, I will definitely look through it.

djsatterfield

Post by djsatterfield » September 6th, 2023, 5:50 pm

Concerning the river/creek crossings, I have done some fording in the past, albeit not large ones or down steep banks. On some of the research I have done and reviews I have read, there appears to be some steep banks to go down/up and wide river beds to cross. How easy/hard is it to pick up the trail on the other side? Can you see it from above before going down the bank? or are you needing to follow cairns, etc.? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect.