exciting Trail Surface Improvements at Lacamas Park

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

exciting Trail Surface Improvements at Lacamas Park

Post by Chip Down » July 16th, 2023, 8:13 pm

On hot days, or when I'm pressed for time, I like to park at the lower 3rd Ave trailhead of Lacamas Park and ride the trails for a couple hours (and sometimes hide my bike and walk the no-bike trails).

I'm happy to report that after a closure last week (7/10 - 7/14) things are even better!

Any minor irregularities (roots, rocks, depressions, etc) in the trail from TH to bridge have been smoothed over. The trail is now as homogenous as a treadmill belt. Every step is the same as the one before.

The trail surface from TH to bridge has been graveled. Before, the duffy surface was annoyingly spongy and quiet. Now you get to hear the crunch-crunch-crunch of gravel underfoot with every step.

The deep loose gravel offers very little traction for bike tires. This is awesome! Gentle acceleration is now mandatory. A quick burst of power will spin the back wheel. Sudden braking will lock up the wheels. This forces cyclists to ride nice and slow, which increases safety for pedestrians.

The visual impact is lovely. Before, the trail looked so natural and dirty. Now it looks engineered, manmade, as a city park should.

Be sure to contact City of Camas and encourage them to proliferate this improvement to the rest of the park. Also, please consider encouraging them to pave the entire park.
Attachments
20230703_054719.jpg
20230715_054241.jpg

dmthomas49

Re: exciting Trail Surface Improvements at Lacamas Park

Post by dmthomas49 » July 17th, 2023, 5:13 am

I walk here 1-2 times a week. When someone told me that they were resurfacing the trail, I was surprised. The surface was just fine like it was. The winter mud puddles added some ambiance! :)
I haven’t seen any bike riders carrying beer. Chip must be under cover when riding….
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 17th, 2023, 5:27 am

I think that's intolerable, they should have paved it :)

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » July 17th, 2023, 12:24 pm

Walked it this morning. Was easier to walk before being gravelled. Could have saved money by just adding gravel to the few areas that get muddy. Not that I care… :D
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir