Is climbing Mount Adams possible now? (Road access?)

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
SWriverstone

Is climbing Mount Adams possible now? (Road access?)

Post by SWriverstone » May 24th, 2023, 10:18 am

Hi All:

A friend and I were planning a summit attempt on Mt. Shasta this weekend but opted out due to an unsettled weather forecast. Then we thought "Hey! Let's do Mount St. Helens!" But then...no permits til June 1. So that's out. Now we're wondering about Mt. Adams?

Any current info on the south/Lunch Counter climb? Is the trailhead accessible? (I've been digging around online but current info isn't easy to find—so asking here and will also call GPNF and see if I can find out.)

Thanks!
Scott in Eugene

PS - If Adams won't work, then we'll probably head up to Diamond Peak locally...

SWriverstone

Re: Is climbing Mount Adams possible now? (Road access?)

Post by SWriverstone » May 24th, 2023, 10:54 am

Since posting the above, I found one trip report from someone two days ago who summited but said they had to do a 3.5-mile road walk each way. Bleh. LOL Apparently the road is pretty muddy from Morrison Creek Camp to Cold Spring.

It's still tempting to do despite the snow being slushy—just because we'd likely have the mountain to ourselves! :-D But I dunno...this time of year can be tough...

Scott

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 25th, 2023, 7:32 pm

It's a high TH, so even if you have to walk a little, it's not that bad. Of course, if you're planning a day trip, those extra miles will be unwanted. But yeah, generally speaking, May is too early to drive up.

As for MSH, I've never been asked for a permit on any of the non-standard routes. An analogy: when bears look for salmon, they go to rivers.

drm

Post by drm » May 26th, 2023, 7:11 am

The info is easy to find:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/gifford ... conditions

Or call the ranger station in Trout Lake.