Eagle-Benson -- Ruckel Ridge...

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
smithsummit

Eagle-Benson -- Ruckel Ridge...

Post by smithsummit » May 16th, 2023, 10:26 am

HI Folks,

Eagle-Benson and Ruckel Ridge are open, but looking for conditions since the fire. Have done these many times in the past. Can't imagine there's much left of Eagle-Benson. Also... does anyone know when Ruckel Creek might open?

Cheers,

Rob

adamschneider

Re: Eagle-Benson -- Ruckel Ridge...

Post by adamschneider » May 16th, 2023, 12:18 pm

I tried to go a little ways up the Eagle-Benson Trail last May. The trail was barely visible, and poison-oak was rampant.

drm

Post by drm » May 22nd, 2023, 6:26 am

What do you mean by eagle Benson being "open"? Was it announced somewhere? Did they just remove the closed sign from the upper junction on the PCT?

This is what the forest service webpage says about it:
This trail has been the site of many search and rescue operations over recent years. The 2017 Eagle Creek Fire burned this trail severely. The trail is unmaintained and has unstable, dangerous soil conditions. Burned areas can have an increased likelihood of landslides, mudslides, flash floods, and debris flows.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mthood/ ... ecid=53170

It was mostly considered abandoned until the Mazamas made it a project and rehabilitated it some years ago. It should be considered more of a route than an actual trail unless the Mazamas decide to fix it again, as I doubt the FS would take it on given the many other long trails they are keeping in shape.

smithsummit

Post by smithsummit » May 23rd, 2023, 11:02 am

HI,

Eagle-Benson is open from a Forest Service perspective (perfectly permissible to use, good idea to use your call); it does have a warning and proceed at your own risk... Spoke with the Hood River ranger station a couple of weeks ago and they said a crew had done some work the year after the fire, but nothing since. Also learned that Ruckel Ridge isn't an official trail; think the ranger called it an "overland route" or similar.

Eagle Benson or Ruckel Ridge without Ruckel Creek for the down would be long days.

Stay Safe! --Rob

Alpenglow18

Post by Alpenglow18 » May 26th, 2023, 8:10 pm

I circumnavigated the benson plateau clockwise in May 2021 trying to use trails from the USGS map. The trails were obliterated save for a short nice section somewhere between benson camp to hunter camp.

It's a pure cross country route but can be done. GPS ultra helpful.

I also echo other posts I had seen before...the benson plateau has spooky vibes.

drm

Post by drm » May 27th, 2023, 7:23 am

There we go again, with Benson Plateau being spooky. It isn't spooky to me at all, but many people have said they think so. I cannot figure out why. I have brought this up here before.

Since the PCT on the east side is unaffected by the fire, the issue with circumnavigating is the Benson Way trail, which start and ends on the PCT and follows the undulating western edge, which is less well defined than the east. I found the northern section to be somewhat faint but not too difficult to follow. I was heading southbound and lost the track south of Hunter's Camp a ways and had to just wander over to the PCT.