MSH Permits now required in November.

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Water

Re: MSH Permits now required in November.

Post by Water » May 12th, 2023, 8:53 am

They don't say that in the proposal, is the public supposed to inherently know this? Is $25k a credible number on a lower range? Is $500k more credible on the upper? They're the ones putting numbers on paper and asking for more money. If they're proposing new development and asking the public for more money, maybe figure out their design and permitting then ask for more money so the public can accurately comment on what they're 'getting'?

And why would current expenses be co-mingled with future proposed operating costs and one-time expenditures as if to show an inflated yearly budget that one can't understand what the real cost is at all? It's a really obfuscated way to communicate and isn't serious, it's just throwing a bunch of numbers on the page. Especially when they show operating costs at $151,000 for last year... suddenly they need a few hundred thousand dollars more to manage the climbing route? This lacks credibility.

These are rhetorical questions since I doubt you can answer it any better than the FS.
Feel Free to Feel Free

drm

Post by drm » May 13th, 2023, 6:16 am

I agree with your criticisms, you have done some good detailed research here. I was just suggesting what I think the likely reason is. Uncertainties in federal budgets and uncertainties in staffing and permitting make it hard to do accurate annual budgets at their level.

Another question is to what degree popular climbing permits should subsidize other activities in the district. As somebody with little interest in summitting volcanoes but who spends a lot of time elsewhere in the national forest, I appreciate that the income source leaves a few crumbs to manage other resources.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 19th, 2023, 6:16 am

Cool, one more month I can tell U$F$ to bite me! :lol: