WATERFALL MYSTERY: Camp Creek Falls on Herman Creek?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
ACuteSushi

WATERFALL MYSTERY: Camp Creek Falls on Herman Creek?

Post by ACuteSushi » April 8th, 2023, 5:06 pm

I have a waterfall mystery for you all!

I have a copy of "Romance of Waterfalls" by Bloom and Cohen (1998) and they list Waterfall #33 as Camp Creek Falls. #32 is Falls Creek Falls (a.k.a. Nick Eaton Falls) and #34 is Slide Creek Falls on the Herman Creek hike in the Columbia Gorge. The directions to Camp Creek Falls from Falls Creek Falls are "continue up the trail for 1 mile, 45 minutes to Camp Creek Falls. A big pretty falls appearing as a long, sizzling slide down its cliff no more than 30 feet from the trail allowing easy access to its cooling waters". Elevation is listed at 1,100' and the height of the falls is listed as 150'.

Every other waterfall that this book has listed exists and is easy to find. The sketch of the falls (all hand drawn; no pictures) is from the base of the falls. However, there were no waterfalls on Camp Creek (clearly signed; also checked GPS) upstream when we crossed (we did not go offtrail, so maybe around a corner? More than 30 feet?). There was the top of a waterfall downstream disappearing over what looked to be a rocky cliff. However, there was no obvious way to get down to the falls from the trail.

Digging around online, all I could find was this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywsQ6X-4Y_A) video (clearly not 150') and a description on Northwest Waterfall Survey stating that a group had discovered a waterfall just upstream from the mouth of Camp Creek, which they only knew of from a report by the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. This waterfall has elevation listed at 845'.

Any info about Camp Creek Falls? Very intrigued to learn more info...

Thanks!

bobcat

Re: WATERFALL MYSTERY: Camp Creek Falls on Herman Creek?

Post by bobcat » April 8th, 2023, 7:09 pm

Camp Creek Falls is below the trail near the confluence with Herman Creek. I think the best scramble down is on the north side of the creek. Don Nelsen should be able to tell you more. He called them Ipsoot Falls.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 8th, 2023, 7:49 pm

Bobcat nailed it. I made four or five trips down there in 2010 to document and explore. The climb is well worth the effort but is potentially dangerous due to loose and very steep terrain. Edit: Also, the 2017 fire has likely made the terrain even worse.

Here is a map with notations. I took a line to measure and the numbers are conservative. I didn't count the several smaller falls in the numbers. One of those is shown in the photos: Edit: In further research of my notes and photos, I find that the map below was not the one made after I measured the falls with a line, but the initial one from the first exploration. I'll update later with better numbers.

The upper two falls:

The lower two falls:

More views:

I climbed the far bank to get some better photos and my daughter came with. Here she is trying not to get her feet wet coming back across Herman Creek.

Looking down from above:

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

ACuteSushi

Post by ACuteSushi » April 9th, 2023, 3:24 pm

Got it, thank you!

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » April 29th, 2023, 4:58 pm

Incidentally someone has made a incorrect new sign for Nick Eaton Falls and installed it just in the last week or so -
41juBLpzqV6Yews02I5jkmXcfFkKDKSPxeGBjly0CH4-1536x2048.jpg
I think this is also mis-named on Google Maps - welcome to Idiocracy.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 30th, 2023, 5:27 am

at least they're consistent :)