Sourcing Spruce Tips on Public Land

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
teachpdx

Sourcing Spruce Tips on Public Land

Post by teachpdx » March 21st, 2023, 5:44 pm

While traveling wayyyyyy up north last summer I had a delicious ‘Spruce Tip Ale’ from Yukon Brewing. And I’m planning to make my own rendition this year with my homebrewing equipment.
A27D6383-76FB-4979-983A-1A3A47D86553.jpeg
So begs the question, where is the best place to source some ‘incidental/personal use’ Spruce tips?

I know the Coast is where all the Sitka Spruce are located, so I was wondering if any of you could answer my following questions:

1) Where is a good location to go for a hike on public land, preferably north/central Coast to find a lot of Sitka Spruce?

2) I want to get these right as they are emerging from their papery casings for the best flavor. Is that already happening, or will they not start emerging for a little while yet?

3) Any other info/insight on the legalities of gathering Spruce tips… I will be well within the quantities for personal/incidental use but both the state forest and national forest don’t have any collection rules that really fit the specific resource.
instagram: @remyodyssey

BurnsideBob

Re: Sourcing Spruce Tips on Public Land

Post by BurnsideBob » March 23rd, 2023, 7:35 am

Here is a review for a Colorado version, which I'm assuming is using Colorado Spruce, not Sitka. :D

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18564/365011/

Your best bet on spruce tip collecting info is to contact the USFS district on whose land you intend to collect. I think state lands are off limits for collecting--at least State Park lands.

Colorado spruce are in many urban landscapes so you may be able to collect close to home.

Dave
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » March 25th, 2023, 9:34 am

Sitka spruce flourishes within 10 - 15 miles of the coast and there's plenty of it. Anyway, all forested areas close to the coast and right on it will have Sitka spruce, e.g. Fort Stevens, Tillamook Head, Neahkahnie Mountain, etc. [but those are state lands].

Here's an article that says the best time in Oregon is May:

https://www.jazspirits.com/post/ingredi ... pruce-tips

They also reference getting a permit from the Forest Service. Maybe Mt. Hebo area is the farthest north of Siuslaw National Forest lands where you could find Sitka spruce. You definitely don't want old growth - can't reach up that high!

Engelmann spruce is also native to Oregon. East side of the Cascades, including Mt. Hood, and the Blue Mountains.

Native spruces of the Yukon are white spruce and black spruce - don't know if they flavor differently.

Water

Post by Water » March 25th, 2023, 4:42 pm

there's a lot of spruce and fir tip beers in the PNW, don't need to head all the way to the Yukon for it..

Fort George Magnanimous is one, using Fir tips I believe. Then there is Spruce Budd Ale from them as well. If you PM I have some contacts there, for a small home-brew level batch I imagine they may be able to help/direct you to help (ie help them pick at the places they do for a day and you can take 5lbs for yourself (or however much you need).
Feel Free to Feel Free