Flagging In The Gorge

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Born2BBrad

Flagging In The Gorge

Post by Born2BBrad » March 8th, 2023, 5:17 pm

So I keep finding lots of flagging in the Catherine Creek area. I originally though it was from an organized trail run held in October of 2022. The organizers said it wasn’t them, and based on what they said and their published route, I believe them.

The first batch was mostly white flagging that was not only along some trails, but way off trail up and down ridges, and even into some thick poison oak. Over the course of three visits, most of that was removed, even in thick poison oak.

Flagging on trail 1/14/23:

Flagging removed 1/14/23:

Flagging removed 1/26/23:

I haven’t gotten all of the white flagging, as I keep finding more I missed. Like way off trail deep into ravines and some in head high poison oak.

Then on Saturday 3/4/23 some new red and white candy cane striped flagging appeared in the same general area. It was not there a week prior. Due to time limitations that day, only some of that was taken down.

Most of the rest was taken down Wednesday 3/8/23. To my surprise, two sections went off trail deep down into Major Creek canyon. Steeply into poison oak so thick and tall even I wasn’t willing to take it down, so it’s still there.

Flagging removed 3/4/23 & 3/8/23:

My guess is that it is some rogue person or group organizing unsanctioned trail running events. But what kind of trail runner would want to run off trail through thick poison oak?

If you see someone putting up flagging, act friendly and curious and find out the event name, date of event and who the organizer is. Then ask if they have a permit. There are legitimate organizations who put on trail running events who clean up afterwards. Then there are a#$%&$@! who put up thousands of pieces of flagging and leave it there.

Send your findings to the Forest Service and a PM to me. If it is unsanctioned, I am willing to take down flagging before the event if enough notice is given.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

adamschneider

Re: Flagging In The Gorge

Post by adamschneider » March 8th, 2023, 6:38 pm

Born2BBrad wrote:
March 8th, 2023, 5:17 pm
But what kind of trail runner would want to run off trail through thick poison oak?
Hashers. I had a roommate who was one, and they had an amazing disregard for poisonous plants.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » March 8th, 2023, 10:11 pm

adamschneider wrote:
March 8th, 2023, 6:38 pm
Born2BBrad wrote:
March 8th, 2023, 5:17 pm
But what kind of trail runner would want to run off trail through thick poison oak?
Hashers. I had a roommate who was one, and they had an amazing disregard for poisonous plants.
Wow. Just wow.
instagram: @remyodyssey

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 9th, 2023, 5:54 am

How weird

What's wrong with people?

Thanks for taking on this project Brad

drm

Post by drm » March 9th, 2023, 8:09 am

Chinese balloon detritus?

tduds

Post by tduds » March 9th, 2023, 11:32 am

Maybe someone is flagging the poison oak so a crew can come through and prune it? ;)

jvangeld

Post by jvangeld » March 9th, 2023, 11:36 am

My first thought was that a search and rescue group might be marking a search operation. But they are a lot more respectful than that. And I would expect to see flagging on a grid, not linear.

EDIT: Oregon Hash House says they run on 2nd and 4th Saturdays as well as the full moon.

https://oregonhhh.org/welcome.html
Jeremy VanGelder - Friends of Road 4109

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » March 9th, 2023, 4:23 pm

I and many other wildlife biologists use(d) flagging for many different purposes. Sometimes in huge quantities for helping other people find their way during nocturnal work. I'm assuming this keeps coming back because someone wants it there, possibly even for a useful purpose.
- Michael

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 9th, 2023, 4:57 pm

For the record, I'm not saying that Hashers are responsible for all the flagging. Just answering the question, "what kind of trail runners would have so little disregard for personal safety and common sense?"

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » March 9th, 2023, 7:02 pm

Hashers seem like a logical answer, based on the website jvangeld provided, that notes false trails. That may be the two sections going down into Major Creek canyon. The website also notes there are no rules and going through all types of terrain, specifically mentioning poison oak thickets.

I had thought about other legitimate reasons for the flagging, like aiwetir mentions wildlife biologists. The two areas flagged at different times were placed in the most convoluted route imaginable. I can’t imagine wildlife biologists placing flagging in places where 5 or 10 feet away from the flagged route would not go through poison oak, would not be as steep or not as rocky. They are smarter than that. The white flagging taken down in January has not come back, and it was there for weeks. The newer candy cane striped flagging was on the next hill to the east, sometimes called Tracy Hill. No notice anywhere mentioned what the flagging was for.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports