Seeking WA snowshoe recs

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
snow_sketches

Seeking WA snowshoe recs

Post by snow_sketches » March 7th, 2023, 6:46 am

Hi all,

I'll have a week off at the end of the month, and would like to spend some time snowshoeing around up in Washington. Does anyone have a spot or two you'd recommend visiting?

Thanks in advance for thinking about it :)

johnspeth

Re: Seeking WA snowshoe recs

Post by johnspeth » March 7th, 2023, 7:02 am

Two places with reliable snow AND reliable access are Mt Ranier NP and Mt St Helens. There are ample possibilities at the end of the road at Paradise. Mt St Helens has the Coldwater Lake area (might have to carry a bit), or the Marble Mtn area both of which invite wandering in a mostly treeless environment.

You can certainly have many other possibilities when some presently snowy roads melt out.

snow_sketches

Post by snow_sketches » March 8th, 2023, 7:40 am

Thanks, these are helpful recommendations! Rainier/Paradise area is on the list, but somehow, I'd more or less overlooked the St. Helens area—so I'm excited to research those options.

Jbar290

Post by Jbar290 » March 9th, 2023, 3:24 pm

snow_sketches wrote:
March 7th, 2023, 6:46 am
Hi all,

I'll have a week off at the end of the month, and would like to spend some time snowshoeing around up in Washington. Does anyone have a spot or two you'd recommend visiting?

Thanks in advance for thinking about it :)
Silver star mountain (grouse vista/tarbell) has some snow right now. Itll warm up by the end of the month possibly

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » March 10th, 2023, 4:17 am

snow_sketches wrote:
March 8th, 2023, 7:40 am
Thanks, these are helpful recommendations! Rainier/Paradise area is on the list, but somehow, I'd more or less overlooked the St. Helens area—so I'm excited to research those options.
You'll find that you can only get to paradise on weekends. They are not plowing daily this year.