La Dee Flats in the winter?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
tduds

La Dee Flats in the winter?

Post by tduds » February 27th, 2023, 4:47 pm

I've been looking around for some easy spots to access for a morning snowshoe with my dog. Not aiming for views or much of anything, just some miles without a crowd that I can get to + back by mid-day. I've had my eye on La Dee Flats for a bit. I know it's a popular OHV destination in the summer but I was wondering if it might be quieter when there's snow on the ground. Anyone ever venture up there without a motor? Should I bother?

RobFromRedland

Re: La Dee Flats in the winter?

Post by RobFromRedland » February 27th, 2023, 9:37 pm

It is pretty busy in the winter too - maybe not quite as busy as the summer but plenty of folks go up there to drive in the snow.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Charley

Post by Charley » March 1st, 2023, 12:16 am

I don't know where you're coming from, but there aren't any Sno Parks down by Estacada, and if you're aiming for "park the car and snowshoe from the parking lot," that's hard to do without the kind of plowing and safe parking that a SnoPark provides.

If you're willing to do some interesting snow driving, there are probably some Forest Roads out past Estacada that would allow you to park and snowshoe. But you'd need a high clearance vehicle, and you'd be snowshoeing on an open road (unless there's snow down to a gate). Probably most likely, you'd end up hiking on foot part of the ways, and then getting the snowshoes out when you get higher and into deeper snow. (I often do this on skis in the spring, when an access road is blocked by a snowdrift or what have you).

If that's not the kind of adventure you're looking for, I'd recommend the Sno Parks along US26. If you can go mid-week, these SnoParks offer access to some road walks that wouldn't be too crowded:
Pocket Creek
Snow Bunny (past the sled hill it's usually quiet)
White River East (it's across from White River West, which is super popular)
Little John Sno Park gets you access to Road 44 (weekends probably have a lot of snowmachine traffic)

If you're after trails, these trails are popular but wouldn't be crowded on a weekday (especially in the afternoon):
Crosstown
PCT to Twin Lakes

If solitude is your goal, I'd avoid Trillium Lake, White River West, Mirror Lake.

Honestly, weekends are not the way to go if solitude at a Sno Park is the goal. Given the access challenges (mentioned above), even though the winter outdoors crowd is smaller, there are far fewer accessible, safe places to travel, so that crowd is more concentrated.

Best of luck!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » March 1st, 2023, 8:22 am

Mt. Hood proper seems a bit far for what you are seeking. There's not much that fits the brief within a short drive of Estacada.

The best idea I can throw out there is to stop short of the mountain and (if the snow level is right) park near the gate off Lolo Pass Road and snowshoe around Old Maid Flat.

I've had success snowshoeing along the Salmon River a couple times, but super lucky each time to get a clear enough road to access the trailhead but also have enough snow on the trail to snowshoe.
instagram: @remyodyssey

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » March 1st, 2023, 8:51 am

Charley wrote:
March 1st, 2023, 12:16 am
If you're willing to do some interesting snow driving, there are probably some Forest Roads out past Estacada that would allow you to park and snowshoe. But you'd need a high clearance vehicle, and you'd be snowshoeing on an open road (unless there's snow down to a gate).
On a "normal" year, this might be an option, but there really aren't any Forest Service roads that are open - they are all gated at 224/46 due to the Riverside fire. You have to drive past Ripplebrook to get to any Forest Service roads that are open.

I guess there is Tumala Mountain road/4614 that is not gated - depending on snow levels, you can drive a ways up that road. Right now I'd guess it is pretty tough going due to all the snow we've been having though.

Seems like the snow parks along 26 would be a better fit for what he is looking for.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Charley

Post by Charley » March 1st, 2023, 10:21 pm

RobFromRedland wrote:
March 1st, 2023, 8:51 am
Charley wrote:
March 1st, 2023, 12:16 am
If you're willing to do some interesting snow driving, there are probably some Forest Roads out past Estacada...
On a "normal" year, this might be an option, but there really aren't any Forest Service roads that are open - they are all gated at 224/46 due to the Riverside fire.
Yeah. If I make some reasonable assumptions (he was asking about La Dee because he'll be coming from Estacada; he doesn't want to drive very far from Estacada; he's just looking for a "walk" and not a "hike", much less a snowshoe bushwhack; he doesn't want to drive up a very snowed in road to get to a snow-depth conducive to pleasant snowshoeing; he doesn't want to walk in the rain or on a not-snowed road to get to snowline) it's kind of tough to find a good fit for this.

Broadening those criteria open up a whole lot of options!

tduds

Post by tduds » March 2nd, 2023, 10:06 am

Thanks for the responses. I admit it's a bit of an odd request, but yes - my aim is basically to find a quiet forest road or old logging road with some snow and do a few training miles in the AM with my pup. I've done a couple mid-week excursions up around Mt Hood and they've been great (Last month we ventured up Old Maid Flat to the Burnt Lake Trailhead, good snow around there) & was looking for some solitude on a Saturday or Sunday AM. Later in the season when things start to melt out I find Wildcat Mtn or Eagle Creek trailheads are great for this. I do have my eye on Tumala Mtn Road + the logging spurs around it. We've done hikes out of that area a handful of times in summer and it's a great spot for avoiding crowds. I might give that a shot this Sunday, I'll report back.

Not to over-share just wanted to emphasize I know the area well and my curiosity was mostly whether or not people use La Dee in the winter for OHV activities. Seems like yes. Nevertheless, appreciate the discussion, keep em coming.

Cheers!

Charley

Post by Charley » March 3rd, 2023, 9:35 pm

tduds wrote:
March 2nd, 2023, 10:06 am
Cheers!
Awesome. Have fun!