South washington treasures

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Jbar290

South washington treasures

Post by Jbar290 » December 24th, 2022, 3:51 pm

Below is a google map of some mines, caves and fire lookouts.

Travel plans · jrod
https://maps.app.goo.gl/qUAG8y3JWxmjUWWa9?g_st=ic

Most of the lookouts are gone but i want to visit the locations they were. All of the mines have been around since 1880s and are either collapsed or about to. I still want to visit them. Washington has some caves around, some are easily accessible while others are in the woods.

If anyone has other locations or general advice id appreciated it. Any stories or photos would be nice. Im in north washougal

Jbar290

Re: South washington treasures

Post by Jbar290 » December 24th, 2022, 3:52 pm

Also added waterfalls and other landmarks

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 24th, 2022, 3:57 pm

I've been to Layser cave. If you're driving by worth stopping to look but probably not worth a special trip just to there.

You don't have Ape Cave. That is worth a trip to go see. I think a permit is required, sometimes busy.

Welcome.

jvangeld

Post by jvangeld » December 27th, 2022, 12:29 pm

Will Wilhite has a great webpage for fire lookouts. He has visited most of the sites in Washington and Oregon.

I've been to most of the mines around Silver Star. I really enjoy visiting the ones on Copper Creek and Miner's Creek because there are a lot of mines to find with a few miles of hiking. Miner's Creek in particular is fun because the adits and shafts are unique, and there is a nice little swimming hole right there. Beware, though, the first Copper Creek adit has a winze. On the return trip, I often follow the old road 4107 to Star Creek Falls

Standard disclaimer: Entering old mines is very dangerous. You might die. The land managing agencies probably strongly discourage you from entering.
Jeremy VanGelder - Friends of Road 4109

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 27th, 2022, 1:07 pm

I remember going to Sweden Mine and Lang Mine in 1970. Mining relics. I don't remember the mines though.

Post eruption those trails are gone, but you could probably find them if you looked around.
20221227_130225.jpg