Coming New Rules: National Park Service Ready to Fine Cellphoner's using YouTuber's and TikToK'rs: You Need A Permit To

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
flixter

Coming New Rules: National Park Service Ready to Fine Cellphoner's using YouTuber's and TikToK'rs: You Need A Permit To

Post by flixter » December 12th, 2022, 11:35 am

I'm going to make this short and bearable, this concerns anyone who use there cellphones to take pictures while out on Government controlled land such as National Parks, Columbia River Gorge, Pacific Coastal Beaches and so on. As I now understand the Rules, If you take photo's on the Government land and post those photos on YouTube or TikTok or any social media and receive compensation you are a commercial entity. So the questions is, if you post on any forum of pictures taken in the gorge on this or any forum, you are subject to a fine. Now I don't know if the government agency's well go after forum op's, but it will not surprise, since the Golden Rule is GO FOR THE DEEP POCKETS, get it Forum admin's.
My Personal Recommendation is take time and watch this YouTube and read the comments, cause Guy's and Gal's it's coming, sooner than later, and I hope you don't get Fined.
Remember if you receive money for you film or pictures, you need a permit.
I just found this on youtube while doing my research it's for you benefit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE4KfEd9boo

FYI: The only work around I've ever found was to create my own web site and allow no Ad's or any other B's, that way
I don't lose my right of freedom of speech or expression, that make's me a thorn in the Government's YoYo's side.
If I Be Wrong, Let Me Know, I'm Not Always Right. Pnwhiker.....

Aimless

Re: Coming New Rules: National Park Service Ready to Fine Cellphoner's using YouTuber's and TikToK'rs: You Need A Permit

Post by Aimless » December 12th, 2022, 12:48 pm

flixter wrote:
December 12th, 2022, 11:35 am
As I now understand the Rules, If you take photo's on the Government land and post those photos on YouTube or TikTok or any social media and receive compensation you are a commercial entity. So the questions is, if you post on any forum of pictures taken in the gorge on this or any forum, you are subject to a fine.
Your 'question' sounds strangely like a statement. Also very alarmist. Since this website is run by a registered non-profit non-commercial organization and contains no advertising to generate revenue, the answer to your 'question' is no, you aren't subject to a fine if you post pictures here that were taken on federal parkland.

I greatly doubt that any new rules that might be proposed regarding permits and fees for commercial ventures generating revenue by filming in national parks or monuments and posting the footage on Tik-Tok or YouTube will be heavily punitive toward hikers and part-time hobbyists who collect tiny bits of money by editing together their phone videos and posting them.

Wake me up when the proposed rules are released for public comment, OK? :roll:

adamschneider

Re: Coming New Rules: National Park Service Ready to Fine Cellphoner's using YouTuber's and TikToK'rs: You Need A Permit

Post by adamschneider » December 12th, 2022, 12:55 pm

Here are the hype-free facts: https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/news/commer ... ermits.htm

In summary, having resolved the Price v. Barr issues, the NPS is returning to the rules that had been in place for a very long time. But now they are also making it clear that TikTokers and YouTubers who generate revenue with their videos are subject to the same rules that Real Photographers had been required to follow. (And the rules are/were more stringent for motion pictures than for still photography.)

This will not affect forums in the least — unless the forum owners are paying bounties for multimedia designed to increase their ad revenue.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 12th, 2022, 1:08 pm

from adam's link

"Commercial Filming

1–2 people, camera & tripod only - $0/day

1–10 people - $150/day

11–30 people - $250/day

31–49 people - $500/day

Over 50 people - $750/day

Still Photography

1–10 people - $50/day

11–30 people - $150/day

Over 30 people - $250/day "

lordgares

Post by lordgares » December 12th, 2022, 1:36 pm

I suspect they are revisiting this due to the TikToker who drove the golf ball into the Grand Canyon.
“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”
― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

wildcat

Post by wildcat » December 13th, 2022, 12:01 pm

I suspect they are revisiting this due to the TikTocker who drove the golf ball into the Grand Canyon.
When was that? I would have LOVED to have seen the inevitable "lock 'im up fer lahf an' throw 'way tha keye gawd fukin' dayammit!" emotional shitstorm that would have erupted on Adventure Journal when the news broke! :lol:
Life in Chacos
nwhikers.net: thewildcat

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » December 13th, 2022, 12:13 pm

wildcat wrote:
December 13th, 2022, 12:01 pm
When was that? I would have LOVED to have seen the inevitable "lock 'im up fer lahf an' throw 'way tha keye gawd fukin' dayammit!" emotional shitstorm that would have erupted on Adventure Journal when the news broke! :lol:
Recently: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ti ... -rcna59782

I suspect they're also getting a little annoyed at the social media bison-botherers and moose-molesters.

wildcat

Post by wildcat » December 15th, 2022, 5:13 pm

Oh god, they're often in force with batleths raised, demanding blood anytime they break that sort of news. Honestly I've just given up monitoring the site altogether, because they've either paywalled or just outright deleted about 85% of their archives (which used to be literally hundreds of pages of five items each going back almost 10 years), making it next to worthless. AJ are an odd bunch to try and sort out. /rant

Anyways, looks like Dixie might be pretty screwed unless she just avoids NPS areas altogether. Maybe she'll do a piece analysing this new regulation. Then again, AFAIK these days she mainly uses real cameras (like that big Sony thing she's been known to carry) and rarely cell phones, so maybe she could hypothetically claim immunity?

I mean, just like I do playing my Muzak in the backcountry, since almost all acrimony over the practise only seems to target Bluetooth loudspeaker users and I only use direct cable connections.... not one BT transceiver to be found in any of my equipment. That's another thing that sends AJ readers' blood pressure spiraling. :lol:
Last edited by wildcat on December 16th, 2022, 8:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Life in Chacos

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » December 15th, 2022, 5:39 pm

Wow, sounds like there's a whole world of drama-filled outdoorsy social media B.S. out there, which I will remain blissfully unaware of...

wildcat

Post by wildcat » December 15th, 2022, 5:46 pm

There is. Trust me, you're probably better off.

I wonder if this new regulation isn't just another desperate money grab meant to extort a tiny amount of revenue for the perpetually-broke NPS disguised as "protection of resources"...
Last edited by wildcat on December 16th, 2022, 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Life in Chacos