Helipad on Devils Peak?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
justpeachy

Helipad on Devils Peak?

Post by justpeachy » October 9th, 2022, 10:22 am

We hiked the Cool Creek Trail up to Devils Peak yesterday. I notice on the 1962 Government Camp USGS quad that there is a helipad right along the the trail, just north of its junction with the Hunchback Trail. In their book 62 Hiking Trails Northern Oregon Cascades (1979), Don and Roberta Lowe say "pass a helispot at a saddle and climb steeply for a short distant to the unsigned junction." I don't remember seeing enough flat open ground for this, although I wasn't looking for it and I'm guessing it's a pretty overgrown now. Anyone ever poked around and looked for this?
DevilsPeakHelipad.jpg

bobcat

Re: Helipad on Devils Peak?

Post by bobcat » October 27th, 2022, 7:14 pm

There's a bare spot on the ridge there and I think it's the flat spot the south end of that. Trees have grown up since then (as they have on Devils Peak), so passing through you wouldn't notice it. They didn't need much. Here's the one on what I call Baby Slide Mountain (above Lake Lenore in Bull of the Woods):

Helipad, Baby Slide Mountain.jpg

BigBear

Re: Helipad on Devils Peak?

Post by BigBear » October 29th, 2022, 5:58 pm

I seem to recall the white cross being in that open are a short distance before the Cool Creek Trail reaches the Hunchback Ridge Trail. It's probably been 25 years since I've done the walk, but that's what I recall.