King's Mountain summit register

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Kerraeb

King's Mountain summit register

Post by Kerraeb » September 25th, 2022, 4:12 pm

FYI

The container seems to have been screwed down so hard it can't be open. I'm fairly strong and I couldn't make it budge.

If any one has super human strength or knows how to open it, please try!
Some days are diamonds, some days are stones.

Don Nelsen

Re: King's Mountain summit register

Post by Don Nelsen » September 25th, 2022, 6:12 pm

Kerraeb wrote:
September 25th, 2022, 4:12 pm
FYI

The container seems to have been screwed down so hard it can't be open. I'm fairly strong and I couldn't make it budge.

If any one has super human strength or knows how to open it, please try!
It was like that over 20 years ago when I was first up there. It took a lot of work then to get the thing open and it took two of us. It seems that it needs is to be replaced by a better container.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 26th, 2022, 7:04 am

I've seen the summit register before but I didn't try to open it

At the risk of being a troll, does King's Mountain really need a summit register? There's a trail up it :)

BigBear

Post by BigBear » September 26th, 2022, 10:45 am

I'm okay with a summit register atop each mountain, hill or glaciated peak. It's the proliferation of geocaches that is so strange. I don't geocache but a few friends had in the past and I was surprised to see how many showed up on their app. I recall something like 17 on the Multnomah-Wauhkeena Loop with came out to one every quarter-mile. The other part of geocaches that was strange was that you got credit for finding them if a member of your "team" found them. I found quite a few over the years just out of dumb-luck. So, a summit register on a lesser-peak isn't so annoying because for some people, making it up there is an accomplishment while for others, roping-up is what ti takes to make the grade for there to be a register.