Peakbagger mobile app

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
akirmse

Peakbagger mobile app

Post by akirmse » September 16th, 2022, 2:03 pm

Hello all,

I ran across an old post here about hiking apps, and I wanted to mention the Peakbagger app for Android and iOS, which I write. Coverage in Oregon for peaks and trip reports is quite good. There are several topo and satellite maps, as well as fire and smoke layers. The app is completely free. It uses the same database as the peakbagger.com Web site, and it can also connect with listsofjohn.com.

I was in Bend with my son last month and greatly enjoyed the scenery. We climbed South Sister and 4 other high-prominence peaks nearby.

---Andrew

adamschneider

Re: Peakbagger mobile app

Post by adamschneider » September 16th, 2022, 2:17 pm

Can you download the GPS tracks from other people's trip reports using the mobile app — or, even better, download MULTIPLE people's tracks at once? That'd be a useful feature.

akirmse

Post by akirmse » September 16th, 2022, 2:31 pm

Indeed you can. There is a link to import a GPS track while viewing a trip report (it says "Load GPS track"), as well as a menu option to auto-download the 10 most recent tracks for a given peak (it says "Download tracks").

mikejorah

Post by mikejorah » November 18th, 2022, 4:00 am

I was looking for satellite maps. It is better to choose giants (for example EOSDA LandViewer). Yes, the Peakbagger app has good mapping. But there are other cool programs with free sat images, where everything is in a high-resolution.