Old metal pipes up on Park Ridge

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
christabrews

Old metal pipes up on Park Ridge

Post by christabrews » September 4th, 2022, 2:26 pm

I am doing a PCT section hike (taking a 0 today) and I just got done doing Mt Jefferson wilderness up to Olallie lake. I'll make a much larger trip report post once I'm done with my hike. Coming over Park Ridge out of Jeff Park, I noticed these strange metal pipes near the trail. Does anyone know what these were originally used for?
PXL_20220902_161924016.jpg

BigBear

Re: Old metal pipes up on Park Ridge

Post by BigBear » September 4th, 2022, 3:02 pm

Was there a large wooden sign that mentioned the transition from Willamette NF to Mt Hood NF and Skyline Trail at the crest? If not, these were probably used to hold the thick wood block.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » September 4th, 2022, 3:52 pm

This is what the sign used to look like - this was in 2012 and it had obviously seen better days - it has been gone probably at least 5 years now:
P9030045.JPG
I don't think those poles were used to hold this sign up....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

christabrews

Post by christabrews » September 4th, 2022, 6:43 pm

Yeah, based on the picture of that sign, I don't think it's quite in the same place. These pipes were in that largely treeless area just beyond the top of Park Ridge.